16mm & Super 16mm to scope

Guest R.PRABHAKAR

Guest R.PRABHAKAR

Pls tell the advantages , Quality loss of 16mm conversion to a scope format is it possible in super 16mm also ?

• Premium Member
Pls tell the advantages , Quality loss of 16mm conversion to a scope format is it possible in super 16mm also ?

Well the advantages are going to be budgetary. Obviously you will have obvious grain there. I don't really see what you're asking. Since you're tagged as a DP, you should already know this much.

We have discussed this extensively in the past, and David Mullen and myself have actually conducted some tests with a lab. Check the archives. The basics are that regular 16mm shot with 2x anamorphic lenses needs image to be croipped from the sides. Super-16 shot with spherical lenses needs image chopped from the top & bottom. The actual negative area used in either system is IDENTICAL. So it is generally easier to shoot S-16 with standard spherical lenses and crop the frame.

has someone ever tried to shoot super 16 with 1.5 x anamorphic lenses? would result in a 1:2.67 image, but can labs handle this and generate a 35mm print for projection with 2x anamorphic lenses?

I shoot all my super8 matirial with these anamorphic lenses (1.5x). can labs bring this to 35mm? ANDEK in berlin could not tell when i asked.

just asking

daniel :)