16:9 on a PD-150

Yaron Weinstein

Well I could be wrong about this, but as far as I know the cameras' CCDs are 4:3 and when it's in 16:9 mode it is simply chopping the top and bottom portions of your screen and stretching whats left to make the widescreen mode. Therefore your losing some of your maximum resolution.

Use a wide lens on the camera and shoot 4:3 - thats the best way to do it.

as far as I remember (from the BBC) it's to do with blowing the image up from the cropped 16:9 on the DV cam, ARCing a 4:3 image gave better quality results than a 16:9 cropped image from a DV camera.

(sample from BBC/DV Solutions guide to shooting widescreen)

Test results:

? Content, choice of camera, and good operating skills has more significance than the technical process. ? The anamorphic lens generally gives the best picture quality, but only in its limited zoom and focus range. Users dislike it because of this.

? ARCing in post production or using the in-camera 16:9 setting is preferred by users

? The Snell and Wilcox ARCs and the Leitch MonARC are the best ARC boxes. Still pictures are well defined, without ?jagged diagonals? or flickering on horizontal edges, but these artefacts are more visible when the camera or subject moves at certain rates. The Snell and Wilcox ARC 125

? The in camera 16:9, the other ARCs, and the Avid re-size are all similar to each other. They show the 'jagged diagonals' and flickering on horizontal edges all the time, and are much coarser. Movement makes no difference however.

Hi,

i think they use the "OpTex DV Anamorphic Attachment" for the PD150,too ?! So you can use the full resolution of the DV cameras in 3:4. Very nice attachement, but its not cheap ;-)

The BBC has incorporated the Century 16:9 Adapter into general production. Andy Benjamin of the BBC reports that "with the Adapter, we're able to do low-cost shooting for our new digital widescreen channels." The Widescreen Adapter allows the network to use their VX2000s to shoot widescreen in situations that require smaller, handheld cameras ? such as producer-shot interviews or underwater shooting.

http://www.optexint.com/sales/lenses/optexdvanamorphic.html