K3 footage, projects anywhere???

seth christian

• Premium Member
Looking for all the links I can get to view the

quality and feel that is produced by the K3

before I buy one for my music video productions.

Keep in mind that the quality of the footage you'll get out of it is more dependent on your lighting and photography skills than the camera itself... modern film stocks are pretty amazing and the K-3 can do a fine job if its in good shape.

Then of course your transfer and colorists make a huge difference as well. In other words, you can get beautiful amazing images but there are so many variables you can't look at someone elses footage and assume you'll be able to achieve the same level.

Ive accumulated maybe 1 dozen various clips from the K3 before I bought mine. Since then Ive shot close to 2000 feet of film - (1300ft) Plus-X, 50D, 250D, 100T, 500T.

The camera does a fine job but it is rather elementary. In short, if the lens is good, you thread the film right and shoot it well I have heard many say the footage could be cut in with any other 16mm (keeping in mind the k3 is not crystal synched). So the quality is great. You wouldnt regret the quality assuming there is nothing wrong with the cam when you buy it.

My story is my k3 was aligned fine and all, I removed the loop formers and the plunger. After this last shoot on the last day my lens went a little bit soft. Cloudy like. I couldn't understand it... turns out the three little screws that hold the barrel together came loose. I recalibrated it, tightened the screws and now its fine. Also, Im not sure but I think the wind has gotten tweaked a little. The handle sits crooked slightly, but it still winds and shoots fine.

To recap, the quality of the K3 is great in terms of picture. Just keep in mind these are cheap cameras from Russia and they have known issues.

I'll be getting a website up with my film shortly, but it was tk'd to SD not HD so its only 720x480 stills. But for reversal it looks GREAT!