Hard Drive Recording

F.N. Bastard

• Premium Member

Hi,

>1) Will any firewire drive work?

If you're talking about plugging a firewire hard disk into an unmodified DVX-100, then no, no firewire drive will "work" as I think you want it to. The camera is designed to be a slave device, as is the hard disk. One cannot control the other.

If you want to record direct to hard disk, you can do that by using a laptop or something - and you could possibly plug a firewire disk into that. 24p or 24pA should be correctly captured in this scenario. Image quality would be identical to tape, so there's really not a lot of point anyway.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I haven't had much luck with this but I hear it is possible. If you are looking to gain something other than a saved step in digitizing you are going to need to do some upgarding.

There is something called Andromeda that allows you to bypass the record to tape function and capture uncompressed footage to hard drive.

I believe that andromida costs around 3000usd.

good luck.

-rook

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

I haven't had much luck with this but I hear it is possible. If you are looking to gain something other than a saved step in digitizing you are going to need to do some upgarding.

There is something called Andromeda that allows you to bypass the record to tape function and capture uncompressed footage to hard drive.

I believe that andromida costs around 3000usd.

good luck.

-rook

You could also use DVrack and thru you laptop to an external HD...Same output as tape without the need to digitize.

You could also use DVrack and thru you laptop to an external HD...Same output as tape without the need to digitize.

How is it the "same output to tape" when you aren't loosing the Depth of Field process from putting that image from camera, onto the tiny miniDV tape?

It seems to me that it's a much better idea to go to the harddrive.

• 2 weeks later...
How is it the "same output to tape" when you aren't loosing the Depth of Field process from putting that image from camera, onto the tiny miniDV tape?

It seems to me that it's a much better idea to go to the harddrive.

It is better to go straight to HD, but the quality, in this case, will stay the same. If you are looking to change the DoF, try looking into different lenses, so on. Whether it be HD or tape however, the CCD's in the camera are what give you the DoF, and since CCD's arent great at doing so, with out a little help, the DoF is usually poor. Exceptions always however. But if you want to save a step and not capture from DV to harddrive, then buy the program that let you bypass that.