Cheapskate - Finding Actors

Erdwolf_TVL

I need some advice in finding two actors for a 3-minute short film.

Where should I look?

I really am not looking for star talent here... Anyone who has any interest in Drama (not even formal education) would easily do these parts. There are about 20 spoken words in the script. Heck, if I knew more people in London, I wouldn't even bother finding actors. I would just use friends.

Any suggestions?

I need some advice in finding two actors for a 3-minute short film.

Where should I look?

I really am not looking for star talent here... Anyone who has any interest in Drama (not even formal education) would easily do these parts. There are about 20 spoken words in the script. Heck, if I knew more people in London, I wouldn't even bother finding actors. I would just use friends.

Any suggestions?

Casting makes or breaks a film and has to be done with care. Friends are ok if they're right for the role and bring something to it, otherwise don't use them.

If you're in London try the drama schools, I'm sure the students would love to audition for a part and to work on it for experience.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well I live near London and love acting.. although might not be what you're looking for. I'm currently doing drama at the Churchill theatre in Bromley, London. It's more an acting workshop than a production org.

Can't say I've actually acted in any films, only theatre productions. But I'm up for it if you need someone, just e-mail me or something.

Basic bio (a few picys e.t.c....) : http://www.myspace.com/ashleysmithd

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Try www.castnet.co.uk

I've used this a lot, found some good actors, some not so good. They all worked for expenses tho (food, travel).

You might run into a dead end with the better Drama schools in London as they generally have a policy of not letting their students work on non-school projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hello,

Please, keep in mind that theatre acting and screen acting are different animals. Theatre folks have to play to the back row. All of that looks like ham on the screen. 95% of screen acting is just saying your lines. Try to get reels from your prospective talent. I'd rather pull a person off the street at random and teach them how to screen act than hire a theatre actor. I know that sounds extreme but theatre folks (those who have no screen experience) can rarely play small enough for screen. Every theatre actor we've ever employed invariably murdered their role going for the Oscar. If you get reels, then you know if they can deliver at the levels that work for the role. You can roll tape at the audition if they don't yet have a reel. Shoot them around half body or close-up.

• 1 month later...
Guest LondonFilmMan

Erdwolf_TVL: I saw Samira Makhmalbaf's "Blackboards", an 'international' movie. Very good. I like her style indeed and you can see she tries hard. Watch the making of "Blackboards" and you will see her coach Villagers to say lines by saying them first and, I recall one boy stepped forwards and said the lines well and got the job. For you short, I wouldn't even bother casting, just look out and grab whoever hungers for a chance.