Landon D. Parks

Oliver Ojeil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I was reading how you guys were hamering down on Landon being young and all, so I'd like to know if he has made his first short or feature yet. I admire young talent and love to watch young directors emerge in the business.

Thanks

Landon is the new head of Paramount.

Oliver,

Landon's making progress. His posts are getting more informative.. less typos.. he seems to be a quick learner, especially on the digital spectrum of this board. Ya never know.. maybe he will be the head of Paramount someday. He's definately on the right track.

-Jonathan

• Premium Member
Let's start a Landon D. Parks fan club!

I believe there already is a Landon D. Parks fan club, with himself the club's President.

:lol:

Just joking, Landon!

Does anyone think Landon would do any worse a job as head of Paramount compared to their typical head honcho?

EDIT: Just to add: No offense to Landon, but looking at Paramont's current US releases ("Aeon Flux", "Barnyard", "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", "The Last Holiday", "The Weatherman", and "Yours Mine and Ours") I believe my pet _cat_ could do a better job as the head of that studio ...

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Well, Landon's going for it, that's all that matters, it's drive that allows you to succeed. And yeh, many old people around here do try and hammer down on the young people. Maybe they're jealous or something I don't know... (Just 'cos we still got our hair ;) )

I don't judge people if they're old or young, it's wherether they're an ass or not.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member

Landon lives in a part of the country where it's very easy for filmmakers to get 2-3 page articles about themselves in the newspaper. There is also a low power TV station that interviews filmmakers each week. With all of this free publicity, I have wondered why Landon is nowhere to be seen. :huh:

• Premium Member

Outstanding. I don't think I've ever come across a project more deserving of dismal failure.

It is widely acknowledged that the downturn in cinema attendance over the last three years or so is due to the piss-poor quality of the product. When are the production companies going to do something about it?

Phil

Phil I think you need to relax and have a drink.

That is going to be my default response for the next week.

I enjoyed "Kong" for what it was; fluffy entertainment. I have been trying to become a more shallow person because I'm tired of thinking about things so much. This movie was a great help in that regard.

I think Landon D. Parks is a wonderful person. I mean, I've never met him but I only wish I was that cool when I was his age. Unfortunately at that age I was a Goth, so it was not a possibility.

Let's start a Landon D. Parks fan club!

:P

The cool thing about Landon is that he actually has a bit of a personality and stuff, this is why people are able to knock on him. He also has dreams which is a good thing and he is young enough not to know what things are impossible yet which can sometimes be really useful.

I must also confess that I like Phil too. He is just like the Morrisey of the film world or something. Maybe that's not a good analogy... Anyway I like it when he posts something because it's like "Hey it's Phil" doing his Phil thing. I also especially like it when he lays into London/England/The U.K. then I'm just laughing and saying "yeah! say it how it is!" to myself.

I also think theres nothing wrong with being a goth, but then I like there to be all kinds of people, I like variety. I dont know, if people didn't have personalities then all the films would be like "Stealth" or something and I don't like to think of things like that *shiver*

love

Freya

I have been trying to become a more shallow person because I'm tired of thinking about things so much.

I don't even know where to begin with a statement like this.

The reviews for King Kong have been quite favorable. It is generally considered to be a well-crafted work that is above par filmmaking. I have no problem with the occassional super-huge blockbuster piece of cinema, as long as it is done well. Stupid explosion movies have little entertainment value and while I enjoy intelligent cinema as well, all films do not have to be Last Year at Marienbad to earn my endorsement.

• Premium Member
The cool thing about Landon is that he actually has a bit of a personality and stuff, this is why people are able to knock on him. He also has dreams which is a good thing and he is young enough not to know what things are impossible yet which can sometimes be really useful.

I must also confess that I like Phil too.

Phil's very lovable ever since he quit the last "Sex Pistols" reunion tour.

As for Landon, and speaking only for myself, the problem is his pontifications on topics of which he has no experience and attempting to pass himself off as expert having only read press releases and such. Now that's all good fun but people who don't know any better engage him in threads-with-no-end and wind up being stymied in finding whatever it was they might have been looking for.

He DOES have gumption though. No denying that. How many of us were CEO of major entertainment conglomerates at 18?

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...p?showuser=1531

I don't worry too much about Landon and wouldn't be surprised if a few of the posters here end up working for him one day.

I don't even know where to begin with a statement like this.

I can sort of relate to it.

I'm probably putting words in her mouth and only she can know but I think she might mean that sometimes you get so exhausted by dealing with all the bad things, that you can't cope with anything too complicated on top of all the *real* complicated stuff. Then you might think I just want to see some silly soppy entertainment or something somewhat mindless ...and Holywood makes a lot of mindless entertainment.

Actually, some of it enters a realm beyond mindless.

Also trying to be a shallow person, might be good from a conformity point of view if you can pull it off. *shrug*

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

The fact that Landon reads these things is precisely WHY he is so well known around here. I don't mean this in an offensive way (actually it's more random than anything..) but let's take the spice girls, hardly "fantastic" musicians, but they knew what was IN, and how to pull a crowd. And look where it took them. It was the image.

Landon knows how to look like a pro. Because in this industry I don't always think the work does speak for itself, it's the image of the person, which is precisely why I discovered Clearasil, oops nope.. that's drifting away now.. :blink:

You want proof of this theory?? I somehow got a months work doing what might become a TV series by telling the producer I'd shot loads of HD and 35mm stuff and acting like some big shot upcoming DP (complete crap..) Which lead to me working with some highly experienced actors and crew. For instance the art director from 'Bernards Watch', BBC production.

Meh. When I was 14 I put on a show about being the best there is. Its a balancing act. In public you must earn the trust of everyone around you. Both to get jobs and keep them. You have to be knowledgable (hopefully not a good speller) but not arrogent. In private you must never be satisfied. Assume that for everything you do know, theres 10 things left to discover. Cinemas a growth. I would call myself a DP at age 15. Thats when I really started making movies and paying close attention to the frame. Was I good? Hell no, but I had drive. Im 22 now and still working for a big break, but I still DP a ton of things.

This business is a gradient of work. If he is 'DP' his own cheapo features, he will still get a good background.

And I think the creativity and drive it takes to make a movie on no budget speaks volumes.

I support him and look forward to hopefully working with him and anyone who has GENUIN drive and passion. Now, as for the jaded old farts who worked hard to get where they are and now want to keep others from driving them out, tough cookies. If your good and you play well with others what do you have to fear? I never put too much stock in the naysayers.

And one day you'll be sitting around in a theater, wondering why your phone hasnt rung all week and suddenly see 'a Landon Parks picture'

Uh. . .the Spice Girls SO did not have anything to do with their image, music, etc. That was all written/scripted by a bunch of old men. They were merely pretty puppets.

As for the whole "the old guys hate the young guys" thing--I don't think it's so much that they want to keep you out, as that they want you to admit you don't know poop instead of acting like you know everything. I'm young(ish), and I know I'm very green. Just admit you guys often times have no idea what you're talking about, and have a lot to learn, and I'm sure they'll go easier on you.

The whole thing with trying to jump ahead to the big time without paying any dues is what pisses them off, not your youth. Baby steps, people, baby steps. Don't try to jump into "Lord of the Rings" without doing "The Station Agent" first.

Edited by Josh Bass

Uh. . .the Spice Girls SO did not have anything to do with their image, music, etc. That was all written/scripted by a bunch of old men. They were merely pretty puppets.

That's what I meant, when I say image I mean.. (large breasts, not that Landon's got large breasts I'm just saying)

As for the whole "the old guys hate the young guys" thing--I don't think it's so much that they want to keep you out, as that they want you to admit you don't know poop instead of acting like you know everything. I'm young(ish), and I know I'm very green. Just admit you guys often times have no idea what you're talking about, and have a lot to learn, and I'm sure they'll go easier on you.

Well for a start my comment was only a light hearted bash, although being patronised tends to pee me off. Get it all the time from old people, working in retail, they come in, "Can any of your colleagues show me this camera". You got a problem with me showing you it? I happen to know more than most of my middle age colleagues about photography as it is, but fine if that's what you want. (I don't actually say that if you're wondering)

The pain about being young, buy hey who gives a damn everyone's had it, part of life.

Although I still think many people around here aren't being reasonable, their just elitist.