Janusz Kaminski

Yeah, I'm with you on Godard, Truffaut, fellini and Antonioni.  Some of the best directors ever.  And Yeah, let's talk about 'Brown Bunny' plus and minus the 30 or so minutes that made Ebert hate or love it.

I had lunch with Ebert and his wife recently, nice people. He can be a little childish at times though. I was sitting behind him at a screening of Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 at Cannes, which was wonderfull, and he was booing like a school boy at the end. He's seen the re-edited version and since I explained the thoughts and aesthetic behind the film, he says his opinion on it has shifted. I was going to have Lance Acord, who shot Buffalo 66, shoot the film but he had already signed up for another project so me and Toshiaki Ozawa shot it ourselves. Its not a film everybody will like but not everybody likes Godard, Fellini or Pasolini at times.

I had lunch with Ebert and his wife recently, nice people. He can be a little childish at times though. I was sitting behind him at a screening of Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 at Cannes, which was wonderfull, and he was booing like a school boy at the end. He's seen the re-edited version and since I explained the thoughts and aesthetic behind the film, he says his opinion on it has shifted. I was going to have Lance Acord, who shot Buffalo 66, shoot the film but he had already signed up for another project so me and Toshiaki Ozawa shot it ourselves. Its not a film everybody will like but not everybody likes Godard, Fellini or Pasolini at times.

What was the philosophy behind the re-edit. Did you simply remove segments of shots that some people complained went on too long or were scenes removed? Ebert seemed really amazed by it. I haven't seen the original edit, just curious.

Edited by J. Lamar King

• 1 month later...

This is my first post here and I just found that discussion on Janusz Kaminski, who I think wether Mr. fstop agrees or not is just an outstanding director of photography. If Speilberg (Spielly for you) took him to work on his films, there is probably one good reason; TALENT.

If you want to become as good as him, one day, stop to talk like you are and just try to learn from a talented DP as JK. Sans rancune !!!