Which 2/3 inch lenses breathes least?

Lars.Erik

Hey there friends,

We should really have our own section for lenses. Don't you think?

Anyhow, I've been searching for the tv zoom lenses that breathes the least. So far I think Fujinon exceeds Canon on this subject. But there are several other brands out there. Do you have any thouhgts on this and which brand do you prefer?

• Premium Member

Both Fujinon & Canon made an ENG & Cine-style HD zoom that breathes less than their others, but I can never remember the name, something in the 7.5-150mm-ish range, like the others. It's confusing -- I always have to ask either a Fujinon or Canon rep which lens it is, or the rental house, or check myself. Not every rental house has that zoom.

I think the Canon one is the newer 21x/7.5. Like I said, both make lenses in a similar range which breathe horribly, hence why you have to find out if the rental house has the one that doesn't.

The 5.5-50mm-ish zooms from either tend not to breathe much though.

The larger "E-Series" Fujinon's and the Ang. Optimo HD zoom doesn't breathe, or hardly does, same as the Panavision Digital Primo zooms.

I have the cannon HD 21X lens (HJ21x7.5B) and out of all the video zoom lenses i have come across i am the happiest with this particular lens, the front element is large (I think 127mm) and it will make a video camera very front heavy, but the breathing is much better than other video lenes I've had. Another thing I will do is when I need to rack my focus I'll try and use the macro this way I have no breathing, of coarse it can't always work. From my own experiences I've never been happy with Fujinon lenses, Ive always felt them to be a little flat or mushy, but hey maybe I never got my hands on really good Fuji glass. Good luck and I'd love to hear other opinions.

JD

www.cineshooter.com