X-Rays and shipping film overseas

Freya Black

Hiya!

I'm wondering about buying film from the states and having it shipped to here in Europe.

Would the film be likely to be X-Rayed. I hear that they do deep scans of the storage on airplanes these days so if something travels airmail then presumably it will get a big dose?

Or does it not work like that?

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Would the film be likely to be X-Rayed. I hear that they do deep scans of the storage on airplanes these days so if something travels airmail then presumably it will get a big dose?

Regular mail uses commercial flights to move packages, you will probably be ok with FedEx. Call FedEx and ask. Kodak marks boxes well and I haven't had a problem with FedEx yet.

http://wwwfr.kodak.com/global/fr/service/p...ml?pq-path=1148

hi,

his is a french article about x ray, i think you can find the same with the us website of kodak.

i think that your film supplier (kodak may be) know the right shipper compagny.

if you don't have a full of rolls you can travel with these. the X ray rate is light (no effect on the film)for the hand suitcase (don't forget the changing bag for the customs officer, and you can deal no x ray).

forget the register suitcase because of the x ray rate is big and kill the film (picture washed).

no x ray is better of course!

have a good ship...

happy new year.

Mikael

http://wwwfr.kodak.com/global/fr/service/p...ml?pq-path=1148

hi,

his is a french article about x ray, i think you can find the same with the us website of kodak.

i think that your film supplier (kodak may be) know the right shipper compagny.

if you don't have a full of rolls you can travel with these. the X ray rate is light (no effect on the film)for the hand suitcase (don't forget the changing bag for the customs officer, and you can deal no x ray).

forget the register suitcase because of the x ray rate is big and kill the film (picture washed).

no x ray is better of course!

have a good ship...

happy new year.

Mikael

Thanks Mikael!

I should clarify, that I'm interested in the situation with posting film from the states as opposed to bringing film back from the states while out there.

It's postal questions, such as would it be better to post by land or air. surface means longer of course which means more time to zap it but maybe it is less likely to get zapped than if it is posted by airmail?

love

Freya

Thanks Mikael!

I should clarify, that I'm interested in the situation with posting film from the states as opposed to bringing film back from the states while out there.

It's postal questions, such as would it be better to post by land or air. surface means longer of course which means more time to zap it but maybe it is less likely to get zapped than if it is posted by airmail?

love

Freya

I checked out the same details on the U.S. kodak site and found the following info:

AIR FREIGHT SERVICES

We understand that express air package shipping services such as Airborne, DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc that use their own aircraft, do not employ x-ray scanning of customers' packages on domestic routes. However, this should be verified when sending film. The same carriers may employ passenger airlines for international routes. Goods shipped as freight on passenger airlines are subject to high-intensity x-ray scanning. It is recommended that film shipped as unaccompanied freight is labeled "DO NOT X-RAY. IF X-RAY IS MANDATORY, DO NOT SHIP / DO NOT X-RAY / CONTACT SENDER URGENTLY: (details)".

I think kodak are suggesting you *might* be okay if you use a special courier service instead of the us postal service.

Having read all the info however, it generally seems like a bad idea!

I couldn't find any details about sending surface mail however.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

• Premium Member

If unprocessed film gets put into the baggage/cargo compartment on a PASSENGER airplane, it will likely be subjected to x-ray inspection. FREIGHT carriers like DHL, FedEx, UPS, Emory, etc. that fly their own airplanes usually can arrange to ship film without x-ray inspection, if the film is properly labeled and manifested.

If unprocessed film gets put into the baggage/cargo compartment on a PASSENGER airplane, it will likely be subjected to x-ray inspection. FREIGHT carriers like DHL, FedEx, UPS, Emory, etc. that fly their own airplanes usually can arrange to ship film without x-ray inspection, if the film is properly labeled and manifested.

So items travelling surface will be okay too? Customs won't want to zap it?

love

Freya

• Premium Member
So items travelling surface will be okay too? Customs won't want to zap it?

love

Freya

Surface transport may get subjected to x-ray or gamma-ray inspection at ports of entry. Usually this is done for the huge cargo containers looking for nuclear devices, illegal stowaways, or other contraband, rather than smaller shipments which can be hand-inspected:

http://www.advancedimagingpro.com/article/...tion=76&id=2135

http://www.rapiscansystems.com/eagle.html