I need an answer to this question

kajako

Hi--I need an answer to this question. I am interested in learning the technique of achieving the bleached-out colour scheme. In particular the effects seen in films such as "Traffic" and "Man on Fire".

I am not a photographer so I beg that the answer is in layman's terms. How can I produce similar images (photos) with the most simple process.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

The odd-color look for some sequences is done by "cross-processing" a reversal film stock (i.e. color slide film) in a color negative development. In still photography, it would be done by processing an E6 color slide film in the C41 color negative process. You may have to go to a professional still lab to get this work done.

In the case of "Traffic" there was also a lot of digital color manipulation for those scenes in Mexico.

• Premium Member

For still images it's also very easy to create this look in Photoshop. There are several ways to do it, but the basic idea is to crush the black level and clip the white level (experiement with how much looks right). Often times cross-processed film shifts color; you might experiment with shifting the highlights toward yellow and the shadows toward blue. You can add noise if you like, to simulate additonal film grain. Overall color saturation can be controlled with the "hue/saturation" control panel.