XL1s Picture Interference?

Guest Yisraelee

Guest Yisraelee

Hi,

I have just got a new XL1s. Now I have had it 1 week and its been fine. Tonight I decided to connect it to the TV for some playback of shots I did over last weekend.

Now whilst it was in "normal" camera mode after I switched from VCR, it was ok for the first few minutes, then whilst watching the TV screen, there was some flashes/flickering and quite erratic, and also a strange black vertical band appeared on the TV screen which seemed to have split the image in half. Now this was at split second intervals.

I have switched the camera on and off, tried the different settings and modes and it still did this say after 3/4 minutes of switching the camera on?

Whilst this flickering/flashing was happening on the tv monitor screen, I looked into the viewfinder to see if that was doing the same, but it wasnt except a very slight image jump which was noticable but didnt seem an issue.

Anybody got any idea what has caused this or could it be some interference (RF, electrical or magnetic) or compliance problem from the RF cables or the TV itself as the XL1s was only 2/3 feet away from the television?

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest Yisraelee
Hi,

I have just got a new XL1s. Now I have had it 1 week and its been fine. Tonight I decided to connect it to the TV for some playback of shots I did over last weekend.

Now whilst it was in "normal" camera mode after I switched from VCR, it was ok for the first few minutes, then whilst watching the TV screen, there was some flashes/flickering and quite erratic, and also a strange black vertical band appeared on the TV screen which seemed to have split the image in half. Now this was at split second intervals.

I have switched the camera on and off, tried the different settings and modes and it still did this say after 3/4 minutes of switching the camera on?

Whilst this flickering/flashing was happening on the tv monitor screen, I looked into the viewfinder to see if that was doing the same, but it wasnt except a very slight image jump which was noticable but didnt seem an issue.

Anybody got any idea what has caused this or could it be some interference (RF, electrical or magnetic) or compliance problem from the RF cables or the TV itself as the XL1s was only 2/3 feet away from the television?

Below are a few pics I have just taken. I managed to capture the black vertical band with my still camera on the monitor. This band and the blue background were flickering on and off almost violently in slpit second intervals and it appears to have 'split' the image with the usual XL1s display pushed to the left.

xl1s03.jpg

This is showing the flickering black band that goes on and off.

xl1s02.jpg

The blue colour that came on and off too.

xl1s01.jpg

Another shot of this strange black band that splits the image

Could it be a static problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I've been shooting with XLs for over 5 years and I've seen that before. I don't know what to tell you, other than 1) take the camera back to the dealer, 2) send it to Canon for a repair. Being under warranty they should fix it at no charge to you (presumming you bought it new).

Guest Yisraelee
Well, I've been shooting with XLs for over 5 years and I've seen that before. I don't know what to tell you, other than 1) take the camera back to the dealer, 2) send it to Canon for a repair. Being under warranty they should fix it at no charge to you (presumming you bought it new).

Someone has suggested it could be a horizontal sync problem? Heard of that?