Ultra 16 ?

Mark Williams

• Premium Member
I understand your concern is only about tolerances and Warning people but even if the worst came to the worst people can still use the camera as a standard 16mm So they have lost nothing And surely the best route would be to buy another film gate and use that anyway?

If I understadn what you are sugesting - You want to take the area betwen the perfs, and use that is the left side of your image, and also do as the S16 Folks do and use the soundtrack area as the right side of your image. And make the frame as tall as the space between the perfs so you don't get two large blobs (the perfs) in the frame.?

I have two thoughts. (1) The first movie camera I ever played with was my faters Brownie 8 Model 2. (circa 1957) That camera uses Regular 8 film, and becasue of the design actually does put a good image in between the perfs of the R8 format. - so yes, I am sure that it is easy to put an image there.

(2) the second thought is that Although I am just strting to play with 16mm negative film, in the coupple of rolls that I have used, I have already seen a code number right smack between the perfs. I forget if this was on Kodak or Fuji FIlm, but was on the negative. When I used older Double X in my Mamiya 16mm Submini Camera back in the early 1970s tha footage numbers were also between the perfs. (the last roll of DXN in I used a subminature camerathe numbers are now in the Keycode style so they no longer take up the entire area.

In short, as John says you are wanting to use real-estate that someone else is already camping on.

That and the fact that every peice of film equipment uses the perf area as a safe zone for things taht might scratch, and you are fighting a non-winable battle.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

What a great discussion this one topic has started! Talk about getting people fired up!

I'd love to hear more about a Canon Scoopic modified for Ultra 16... Always thought that would be a Scoopic might be a nice camera for quick shots, more reliable than a K-3 probably and wouldn't kill my hand winding it constantly. Of course no one seems to be able to make a Super 16 mod to a Scoopic so this Ultra thing might give just a little more width for better HD transfers.