arri motor question

Guest Kieron Boylan

I recently purchased an arri 16 s/b from ebay and I was wondering what I was suppose to do with one of the motors the camera came with. The camera came with a variable speed motor which I know about but it also came with what I believe to be a constant speed motor but I dont know how to power it because it came with a separate cylinder shaped black switching device with an on/off switch and an forw/rev switch but on the end of the switching device is a mains plug I think its american or mainland european pin type.

Surely I cant run the camera from the mains I thought they were always suppose to be powered by batteries.

Any help and advice on the subject would be greatley appreciated thank you.

• Premium Member
I recently purchased an arri 16 s/b from ebay and I was wondering what I was suppose to do with one of the motors the camera came with. The camera came with a variable speed motor which I know about but it also came with what I believe to be a constant speed motor but I dont know how to power it because it came with a separate cylinder shaped black switching device with an on/off switch and an forw/rev switch but on the end of the switching device is a mains plug I think its american or mainland european pin type.

Surely I cant run the camera from the mains I thought they were always suppose to be powered by batteries.

Any help and advice on the subject would be greatley appreciated thank you.

If you can put a picture of it up, I might be able to tell you. It sounds like it is the synchronized motor from back in the 1960's. It had to be attached to another unit to work. It may even be one of the rare single frame motors, which also had to be attached to a separate source. I have a couple of old Arriflex 16S catalogues so if I could see a picture of the motor, that would help.

-Tim Carroll

I'm sorry I can't upload a picture of it at the moment because my digital camera is not working but I do have some more information about the motor. It has a number on it 2315 its made in western germany its arriflex

60~/115v 24 B/SEC.60~. The switching device is 117v 60 c/s 14 MF the mains plug on it is a three pin mains plug marked strangely hospital grade.

I hope this information helps I will try to upload a picture of it as soon as my digital camera is fixed thank you.

It would seem to be as you suspect a 110v constant speed motor.

I've used them.

A lot of Arri cameras were used in medical facilities, I'm not surprised about the hospital grade marking.

There was also a phase shifting device that went between that motor and the 110v CS - for Kinescope recording. (The camera would have been modified with a 144 degree shutter if used for that).

-Sam

• Premium Member
It would seem to be as you suspect a 110v constant speed motor.

I've used them.

A lot of Arri cameras were used in medical facilities, I'm not surprised about the hospital grade marking.

Mine has a 220 V power supply, it was used in Orly airport in Paris to shoot the planes positions screen before they use video. These images are used after a crash to analyse the planes positions before it happened...

I had the frame by frame motor then, but it's dead... Too bad !

• Premium Member
the mains plug on it is a three pin mains plug marked strangely hospital grade.

The Hospital grade plugs are the biggest baddest plugs you can buy. probaly capable of being run over by an ambulance at speed and still working. I bevive that many technicaians would automatcially use that grade when wiring something that is expected to be treated rough.

its arriflex

60~/115v 24 B/SEC.60~. The switching device is 117v 60 c/s

117V 60 Cycles (Hz) is normal North American Household AC power. No batteries required!

Here's a photo of the motor I'm sorry about the quality of the pic it was taken using the cheapest digital camera

known to man.Photo001.jpg