6x6 filters, not 6.6x6.6

Mark Dunn

I've just had a sale of a set of 85s fall through because the buyer thought I meant 6.6 inch square. They're not, they really are 6inch. Are they quite obsolete, and if so, can anyone tell me a bit of history on filter sizes? I could have them cut down but they're perfect and I hate to spoil them

• Premium Member

I might be mistaken, but 6x6 is the size I use with the big matteboxes on Arri. Maybe they're really 6.6x6.6 but everyone calls them 6x6 for short in that case. All I know is that on all the camera lists I've made I put them down as 6x6 and nobody has questioned that. Which probably means they are just that, 6x6 and not 6.6x6.6 since then someone would have come back from the rental house to double check, no?

Maybe you're better off trying to sell them on UK Ebay or something?

I believe what most people refer to as 6x6 are actually 6.6x6.6 at least that is the size I use in the current Arri "6x6" matte box (MB14). Don't quote me on this but I think at one time they we're actually 6x6 but a new lens came along with a relatively large front element and they were increased, again don't quote me on the history but I seem to remember hearing that story a wile back when I was buying some filters.

Thanks for the replies. The shorthand of 6x6 actually meaning 6.6 square is what put out my buyer. The MB14 is widely referred to as 6x6, you have to go to Arri's site to find out the true dimensions. Whenever it happened, it was a while ago. I checked a 1980 Samuelson's catalogue and there's no mention of 6x6, although 6.6 is correctly referred to, so what I have must be quite a bit older than that. 6x6 is a still photography size, but you'd never need 85s for stills. perhaps someone, ahem, quite a bit older remembers? I'm not letting them go for a few quid on Ebay. Maybe I'll keep them as a talking point, or some rich collector will want them. Anyone?