OCONNOR 50D AND ARRI 2C MARRIAGE

Hal Smith

• Premium Member

Any advice on how to best DIY marry an Arri 2C to an OConnor 50D? I was given two serviceable OConnor 50's with legs so I can afford to cobble one of them to accommodate a 2C.

Edmond, OK

Do you know what heads built for 2Cs look like? (Sorry, i couldn't find a picture online...)

They have a metal frame with a hole on top to give room for the motor. Next to this hole is a screw that fixes the camera. I suggest you build a frame like this (should look like a shoebox with the bottom cut out) from sheet metal and mount it to the wedgeplate of the O'Connor.

I'm sorry for this poor description but my english misses the expressions i'm looking for. Try to find a picture of a 2C on a tripod and it should become very clear.

The 2c had a special tripod adapter to use with the stalk motor, often referred to as a 2c hihat. It cradled the camera and bolted to the threaded hole near the back of the camera body base (above the motor). I imagine you could build some metal riser box with a big hole cut in it to replicate one of these, but it would probably be cheaper and easier to find one of them and buy it. Try Visual Products for a start.

No need and no advantage to hacking apart your old O'Connors. Perhaps you could trade one for one of these hihats.

• Premium Member

Gentlemen, I thank you! Visual product's website has a photos of Arri 2's on two different stands, one of which is definitely an adapter that the motor fits down in to. No need to butcher one of my 50D's.

Edmond, OK