Location of Bolex Serial Number

failnaught

I just purchased a Bolex H16 Reflex and I have been searching the location of its serial number. I was told that it was "inside its front cover." However, if that means that it is on the cover of the film compartment, then it is not there. Any ideas? I am such a newbie.

Failnaught

• Premium Member

If you have one of the first generation Bolex H16 Reflex cameras, the ones without the flat base, I think the serial numbers used to be engraved on the bottom of the little round base sticking out of the bottom of the camera, where the 1/4"-20 screw mount is for the tripod.

One the newer flat base models, I may be wrong, but I thought I remembered them being on the bottom side of the base as well.

-Tim

If you have one of the first generation Bolex H16 Reflex cameras, the ones without the flat base, I think the serial numbers used to be engraved on the bottom of the little round base sticking out of the bottom of the camera, where the 1/4"-20 screw mount is for the tripod.

One the newer flat base models, I may be wrong, but I thought I remembered them being on the bottom side of the base as well.

-Tim

Indeed, whether flat base or not, on later models it's under the camera, by the tripod mounting screw hole : look for an engraved 6-digit number between 100,xxx and 350,xxx.

On cameras before 100,00 or so (more like 120,000), the serial number is engraved inside the film chamber : either above the top spool spindle and/or inside the camera door (matching numbers, hopefully).

-B.

Indeed, whether flat base or not, on later models it's under the camera, by the tripod mounting screw hole : look for an engraved 6-digit number between 100,xxx and 350,xxx.

On cameras before 100,00 or so (more like 120,000), the serial number is engraved inside the film chamber : either above the top spool spindle and/or inside the camera door (matching numbers, hopefully).

-B.

There it is! Thank you guys for the help. You're the best!

BTW I bought a Bolex I was told was a REX 4, it turns out it is a REX 5!

- Failnaught

There it is! Thank you guys for the help. You're the best!

BTW I bought a Bolex I was told was a REX 4, it turns out it is a REX 5!

- Failnaught

Do you mean that it has the mount for the 120m. magazine on top of the camera ? Or are you just going by the serial number ?

-B