Method of powering a Bolex MCE-17B

failnaught

Hi everyone,

Are there any sources of power sources for a Bolex MCE-17B motor? The literature metions battery packs and 24v accumulators. Do they still exist? Has anyone fabricated an alternative? Any sugestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Failnaught

Sure, there are. But first practical question : do you have the power cord to the motor (three-pronged)? If you do, you're good to go : all you need is any battery or DC-current power adapter of the right voltage.

And the right voltage is that which is written on the motor, which depends on your filming speed (set on the camera, but demanding more or less power from the motor). There are two columns : one for the H8 model, the other for the H16 (yours).

I think you need 24V. for 24/25ips... so that's very simple. You can even couple two 12V. batteries to get 24V., or just get a 24 V. battery or power adapter (DC !).

I have a manual somewhere, so I'll check the +/- connections.

Do you have the Tension regulator module too (mounted beneath the motor) -- you should, since your camera is a Rex-5 and it's necessary for the magazine motor.

Anyways, I have the docs on these somewhere.

-B

Edited by bobolex

...Do you have the Tension regulator module too (mounted beneath the motor) -- you should, since your camera is a Rex-5 and it's necessary for the magazine motor. ...

If the magazine motor is the MM type, there are actually two little 12 volt motors inside. They are normally in parallel for operation on 12 volts. If you wire them in series, it seems like they should be good to go for 24 volts. The connections are brought out separately to the 4-pin Tuchel (Amphenol) socket so this should not be a problem. I have not tried this however.

Sure, there are. But first practical question : do you have the power cord to the motor (three-pronged)? If you do, you're good to go : all you need is any battery or DC-current power adapter of the right voltage.

And the right voltage is that which is written on the motor, which depends on your filming speed (set on the camera, but demanding more or less power from the motor). There are two columns : one for the H8 model, the other for the H16 (yours).

I think you need 24V. for 24/25ips... so that's very simple. You can even couple two 12V. batteries to get 24V., or just get a 24 V. battery or power adapter (DC !).

I have a manual somewhere, so I'll check the +/- connections.

Do you have the Tension regulator module too (mounted beneath the motor) -- you should, since your camera is a Rex-5 and it's necessary for the magazine motor.

Anyways, I have the docs on these somewhere.

-B

Yes, I do have the power cord--or at least I thonk I do. I have a three-pronged cable that splits into two single "leads." The leads look like tiny little rods. One has a red band at the base and the other a black one. Am I close? If this is what I need, do I have fashion my own connection?

- Failnaught

Yes, I do have the power cord--or at least I thonk I do. I have a three-pronged cable that splits into two single "leads." The leads look like tiny little rods. One has a red band at the base and the other a black one. Am I close? If this is what I need, do I have fashion my own connection?

- Failnaught

Yes, that's the power cord to the MCE-17B motor.

Do you have the tension regulator add-on ? (it mounts underneath the motor, near the base of the camera.

Do you have a magazine and magazine motor ?

-B

Yes, that's the power cord to the MCE-17B motor.

Do you have the tension regulator add-on ? (it mounts underneath the motor, near the base of the camera.

Do you have a magazine and magazine motor ?

-B

Cool! I'm one up! Actually, I don't have the magazine yet. It's on my list. Do I need the tension regulator if I don't have a magazine?

- Failnaught

Cool! I'm one up! Actually, I don't have the magazine yet. It's on my list. Do I need the tension regulator if I don't have a magazine?

- Failnaught

No you don't. The voltage regulator is needed when using an MCE-17B with a MM magazine motor, and optional otherwise.

On your cord, the Red-tipped lead is +, the Black-tipped one is - , and the middle one is just a fastener to the power pack (it should end in a metal ring).

So, just get a 24V. DC source : either batteries or power adapter, just make sure it's DC out, and connect the + and - terminals and you're set for 2 min. 50 s. of 24 ips action !

The trigger is that little switch that pulls out under the camera : pushed in is continuously running (or on/off through remote cord or electric handgrip), and pulled out is the trigger : forward starts it.

And remember to set the speed on the camera speed dial !

-B

Clive, I don't have much first hand experience of the MCE-17B + Voltage regulator setup to power a MM magazine motor, but I'm going on the manuals. In fact, even with the whole setup's factory wiring, the voltage to the MM is 24 Volts (and thus you need to use the special cable to the MM motor that has a grey plastic protection around it, meant for 24V. -- how baroque is that !).

Is the point of the Voltage Regulator to insure the motor + mm have enough power (36V./3,5Ah minimum, possibly 48V.) ? And if so, could we really do without it with your re-wiring ?

-B

And if so, could we really do without it with your re-wiring ?-B...

Well, actually I'm not sure right now. It seems to me though that if the Unimotor wants 24 volts, and the MM motor will work on 24 volts if wired the right way, that you wouldn't need any additional gadgets if you are supplying 24 volt power to the setup.