PL Mount vs. B to PL Adapter

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Got a Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 in Arri bayonet mount that I need to make PL. Don't see a need to go back to bayonet mount in the future. Wondering if anyone here has opinions or personal experience that would lean toward just having the lens converted to PL mount or having a B to PL adapter put on it. Either option will be done by my lens guy, so either one would be set up properly.

Just wondering if anyone has seen advantages to one route over the other? The true PL mount seems like it would be stronger/last longer, not be as susceptible to getting knocked loose. But maybe I am being unrealistic here. Has anyone had a B to PL mount that was mounted properly come loose?

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member
Got a Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 in Arri bayonet mount that I need to make PL. Don't see a need to go back to bayonet mount in the future. Wondering if anyone here has opinions or personal experience that would lean toward just having the lens converted to PL mount or having a B to PL adapter put on it. Either option will be done by my lens guy, so either one would be set up properly.

Just wondering if anyone has seen advantages to one route over the other? The true PL mount seems like it would be stronger/last longer, not be as susceptible to getting knocked loose. But maybe I am being unrealistic here. Has anyone had a B to PL mount that was mounted properly come loose?

Thanks,

-Tim Carroll

Tim,

I have an old 25-250 Zoom that has an adapter. I think a true PL mount is a better way to go. A good adapter will cost you over $500 in any case. The $100 Ebay ones are not made to 5 micron tolorances!

Stephen