Arriflex certification for Camera Assistants

Hong Suwadji

Hello,

I am interested in this workshop, does anybody have any information (or experience) about this workshop? Does Arri offer this workshop often or is it only available through UCLA extension? Does Panavision offer a similar workshop?

Will it help me get a job as a camera assistant if I have an Arriflex certificate?

Thanks for the info guys,

Matt, I'm also considering the camera assistant workshop in Maine, have you taken this workshop?

Does anybody know which one is better? The Arriflex workshop cost $795, the Maine Workshop cost $1295 (or $1795 combined with the camera operator workshop) plus about $700- $880 for accomodation. I want to take these workshops, so if anybody have any advice, please let me know.

Thanks

Hong

Matt, I'm also considering the camera assistant workshop in Maine, have you taken this workshop?

Does anybody know which one is better? I want to take these workshops, so if anybody have any advice, please let me know.

No, I havn't taken that workshop but I hope to sit in on as much of it as I can this summer (I'm spending my summer there as an intern)

If I was gonna take one workshop there that would be it. Plus, I'm not sure how long the Arri workshop is, but the one in Maine is a FULL 6 days. And there is the added bonus of covering Panavision cameras as well. They rent out a few different models of each brand, so you get a little variety.

Good luck,

Matt

In 1991, I attended both the assistant camera work shop and film camera work shop and I can highly recommend both classes. Dark hart is considered the top 1st ac instructor and runs the assistant class. Arri attended and handed out (at the time) a cert. for Arri assisting. Pana reps will also be present.

Go...you like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take UCLA's Arriflex certification for camera assistant class at the end of June, should I still take the camera assistant workshop in Rockport maine, or just go for the camera operator workshop?, I mean will the camera assistant class in Maine pretty much the same with the Arriflex workshop at UCLA? Any opinions?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Hi,

This is probably what stopped me getting more involved in 35mm stuff - there seems no way to get the experience without having the experience, if you see what I mean. The entry level requires you to fill in the lab paperwork, label cans, etc - I have slightly less than no idea how to do that.

Phil

• Premium Member

the best way to learn is in the field, not a classroom. Offer to work for free for a few weeks and you'll learn more than any theoretical class can teach you.

Theres an old saying - "those who can, do, those who can't, teach". Bit harsh maybe but there's an element of truth in it.

Working for zip is a great incentive for an employer (just check your insurance liabilities). Remember your attitude will get you (or lose you) more work than any piece of paper.

Phil - its been a long time since I did that stuff but would be glad to help out if needed.

• Premium Member
This is probably what stopped me getting more involved in 35mm stuff - there seems no way to get the experience without having the experience, if you see what I mean. The entry level requires you to fill in the lab paperwork, label cans, etc - I have slightly less than no idea how to do that.

There is a very good book by David E. Elkins called 'The Camera Assistant's Manual' which explains everything, including the paperwork.

And I have found all the rental houses here in the UK extremely helpful when I called them up to come in and get an introduction to one of their cameras. That included jobs as well where they didn't rent out the equipment.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> the best way to learn is in the field, not a classroom. Offer to work for free for a

> few weeks and you'll learn more than any theoretical class can teach you.

Exactly - the thing is you seem to need to be related to someone to even get that job since otherwise you won't even have the knowledge to do the entry level. As for the offer of help it's very generous but I really don't think that making 35mm features is ever going to be a career choice in a country which conspicuously lacks a film industry!

Phil

• Premium Member

Hong,

I took both of the UCLA classes (Arri certification and Panavision). They're good for getting your hands on the gear if your a newcomer and a good way to meet the people at Arri and Panavision but I think you're better served by reading a few books, offering to work under a camera assistant for free for a little while and getting to know the people in the rental houses (film AND video).

Combine this with a few months of student films and you'll have a solid little foundation to build from.

It does take a while to get the steady work flowing however, so I recommend another way of supporting yourself in the meantime.

Good luck!

Guest oscar

I do agree that formal instruction is a must if you have the opportunity, but I do totally agree with Tony's opinion. mostly practice, test, and at the beginning, it's the attitude what pushes you higher. I plan to do some at Maine on 2005, that's after being in the bussiness a few years now.

Cheers

Oscar

Guest oscar

Marty, If you want to learn on AC's Duties, in Miami FLA. I think you should talk to Ivan Jordana ( Im sure you can get in contact with him through Pigeon Productions) He's working as a DP right now, but as far as Ive seen, he's one of the best AC's I've worked with and certainly had the privilege to learn from him, after sweating blood, he sure is the best teacher you can have, if you are willing to pay the price in exchange of very hard labor. It's worth

Cheers.

I plan to do some at Maine on 2005, that's after being in the bussiness a few years now.

Oscar, are you talking about the going to the Workshops in Rockport, Maine? Which workshop(s) are you going to take? What do you think you will gain from it since you have been in the business for years?

Thanks

Hong

Marty, If you want to learn on AC's Duties, in Miami FLA. I think you should talk to Ivan Jordana ( Im sure you can get in contact with him through Pigeon Productions) He's working as a DP right now, but as far as Ive seen, he's one of the best AC's I've worked with and certainly had the privilege to learn from him, after sweating blood, he sure is the best teacher you can have, if you are willing to pay the price in exchange of very hard labor. It's worth

Cheers.

And where were you 3 months ago when I would have jumped for such a suggestion? 8)

Guest oscar

TO HONG!!

HI, I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT LEARNING WON'T HURT NO ONE. MAYBE I CAN LEARN A FEW MORE TRICKS, MAYBE I CAN RE-INVENT MY STYLE AND APPROACH LIGHTNING AND DIRECT IN A COMPLETELY NEW AND BETTER WAY, , I DO THINK IT IS WORTH THE EXPERIENCE GOING THERE AND HAVE ONE DIFFERENT VERSION ON NATURE OF THINGS GIVEN FROM SOMEBODY WHO MIGHT HAVE DONE MORE THINGS AND DIFFERENT THINGS FROM WHAT I DO, ANYWAY SHARING WITH PARTNERS AND A INSTRUCTOR OR TEACHER SHOULD BE VERY REFRESHING (HAVING SOME LOBSTER WILL BE GREAT TOO!!!). IT'S A MATTER OF ACQUIRING MORE KNOWLEDGE, THIS JOB IS FUN, SHOULD ALWAYS BE.

BEST REGARDS

OSCAR

Guest oscar

Hi Downix.

3 months ago was so busy, couldn't get time to even have 4 decent hours to sleep at night time.

Cheers

Oscar