The Super 8 Direct To Hard Drive Revolution. Who, Where, and How

Guest santo

• Premium Member

The Kona Card made for Final Cut Pro converts the Betacam SP signal to 10 bit uncompressed. I'm assuming it does the same for Digital Betacam as well. This means one can have both the Archival high quality of proven videotape formats AND then convert it to 10 bit uncompressed if one desires.

All that is necessary is just knowing one person who has invested in both the Kona Card and a Betacam Sp or Digital Betacam machine.

Otherwise, DV-CAM should prove very acceptable for most situations.

http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/32239

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all boils down to your hard drive speed. If you are going to conform your online material at home on your own system, you will need a RAID. SCSI or SATA II will do it. Here's the catch. SATA raid will set you back about 1500. I am not sure how long your pieces is or what sort of effects are in it, but 1500 is about a day at a really good post house using all their stuff; proper monitors and all kinds of tape decks for output. A SCSI raid will cost much much more. So, if you intend to do all your films this way from now on, then the SATA raid may be an option. If not, go to a post house to have it done. They have done this sort of thing many times. Good luck

How do you come up with a $1500 price tag for SATA RAID?

I just bought an Adaptec SATA RAID 0 for about $60 and a 320GB SATA drive for $160. Now, if you need a faster SATA like 10000rpm you are up a couple hundred more. If you need full RAID 5 add another $250.

I'm assuming that one already has the computer. So, I come up with either $220 or $550-$600.

• Premium Member
The Kona Card made for Final Cut Pro converts the Betacam SP signal to 10 bit uncompressed. I'm assuming it does the same for Digital Betacam as well. This means one can have both the Archival high quality of proven videotape formats AND then convert it to 10 bit uncompressed if one desires.

All that is necessary is just knowing one person who has invested in both the Kona Card and a Betacam Sp or Digital Betacam machine.

Otherwise, DV-CAM should prove very acceptable for most situations.

http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/32239

I guess I should add that if one doesn't need the HD feature a different version of the kona card can be purchased for under a thousand dollars.

I just bought an Adaptec SATA RAID 0 for about $60 and a 320GB SATA drive for $160. Now, if you need a faster SATA like 10000rpm you are up a couple hundred more. If you need full RAID 5 add another $250.

I'm assuming that one already has the computer. So, I come up with either $220 or $550-$600.

I have 2 120GB SATA drives in my PC for capture and storage. a RAID controller card was only $40. been running it for over 2 years now without problems.

Are you only using a one or two drives? Check out Macgurus or Huge websites. The SATA is about 1500. A SCSI option is much more. This is for about a 1 terabyte RAID array. If you are running a two drive array at RAID 0, you get barely adequate speed for uncompressed work, more importantly, you have NO recourse if a drive fails, NO Parity. So if you want speed and reliability, you need at least five (5) drives running RAID 0+1 or some other scheme that has parity, an eight drive array is ideal. So that is where you come up with a price tag of $1500. I have not checked the prices in a few months, but add it up; the enclosure, the drives, the controller card, the cables

• Premium Member

Hi,

Ignoring codec overheads, 10-bit 1080p24 is 10.43Gbyte/minute.

1920x1080x30x24x60/8/1024/1024/1024.

> you have NO recourse if a drive fails, NO Parity

What, just like an S.two recorder, you mean?

Phil

I seem to recall for DV video 4-6 minutes per gig was the norm.

Anyone know how many minutes per gig is likely when doing uncompressed 10 bit?

It is about 35 or some say 36 seconds per gig. That is SD. HD is 6 seconds.