Canon Scoopic MS 16mm

Brant Collins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Does the camera run fine without film? Single perf should run fine if loaded correctly. The camera is auto threading so you shouldn't really have to do anything. Maybe when you try reloading cut the end of the film thru the perf. There's a little film cutter tool with a locating pin at the bottom of the film chamber, or you can use scissors.

Hello,

I have a Canon Scoopic M that I used this summer to shoot a short in Europe. I blew out S-12 Charger one (drunken) night in Rome. Forgot to put the American electric adapter on the end of the cord. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix? Would a batter store be capable to fix my S-12 Charger with an issue like this?

Thanks

How on earth did you get a flat-blade US plug into a round-pin European socket?

Never mind. A simple adapter wouldn't have helped you. You needed a 220-110V stepdown transformer.

If you're lucky you might just have blown a fuse, if not you have probably toasted the transformer.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Got another unit which is MS - previous was MM. Film goes smoothly but side cover is loose and new gaskets have to be installed. Hard to find in a good shape.

Probably an MN which was fairly rare in the U.S.

Tape up the side cover which is a good idea whether or not the gaskets are good and you'll be fine. It's really a great camera, hope your film turns out well.

I successfully developed Kodak 7201 in C41 from Scoopic MS - no heating for tank only for chemistry. Problem is with remjet - must be removed mechanically (pre bath in baking soda). Lot of work :(

Threading on Scoopic from 400ft roll - wind on spare spool then rewind on another and then thread the camera - again lot of work.

• 1 month later...

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 'new' Canon Scoopic M. The seller bought it new in 1978 and has run less than 1,000 feet of film through it. He had it modified to Ultra-16. While Ultra-16 must be processed by houses that do it, can it be used as standard-16? I can't think of any reason why it can't, but I only heard about Ultra-16 a few months ago and know little about it.

Yes, you can use it as standard 16 by framing for regular 16 and cropping in post. I don't actually have an ultra-16 camera, but as I understand it, the only reason you need to send it to certain labs that process ultra-16 is because there is image area in between the perfs, so in order to get a clean image all the way across, their processors have to run without sprockets. If you get film processed anywhere else, there will still be image in that area, it just may be dirty / scratched / processed unevenly / etc

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I don't like one thing of this camera. Radioactive lenses.

I don't know if MS model have this kind lenses but all the others model I have cheeked have it. In concrete have a thorium oxide rare earth lens inside the optical group.

Measured at 1/4" from the radioative lens in my camera, had about 380mR. It's a dangerous level...But this in a few inches to the lenses, it reduces the radiation level to a normal levels.

I have tested many cameras, and lenses in amateur cinematogrphy machines; Canon Soopic, Canon 814 electronic, and some Berthiot lenses with "C" and "D" mount, have high radiation levels.

Other problem to use this kind of rare earth on lenses, is the oxidation. This rare earth, oxidation reduces the light can pass through the lenses. I think it reduces the light between 0.3 to 1 point.

....On the other side, thorium-oxide lenses produce more clear colours, and less colour distorsion on edges and shapes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my 'new' Canon Scoopic M. The seller bought it new in 1978 and has run less than 1,000 feet of film through it. He had it modified to Ultra-16. While Ultra-16 must be processed by houses that do it, can it be used as standard-16? I can't think of any reason why it can't, but I only heard about Ultra-16 a few months ago and know little about it.

You can think of Ultra-16 as a "wide bonus" where you get a little more on each side of the film as long as your transfer system can handle it. Spirits usually can't see between the sprocket holes so you only get one side of the "extra" negative. Basically just make sure the scanner can see the entire negative including sprockets to get the full benefit.

Ultra16 mod DIY or by...? Have you worked with Aatons?

Heh. Just came off a shoot. I took my PL-mount Aaton LTR-7, which failed just before the end of the first roll. I'd brought my LTR-54 body, but neglected to bring the Arri-B lens and adapter for it. :angry: While waiting for the lens, and then the adapter, to be sent, we used my friend's Canon Scoopic Ultra-16 conversion.

• 2 months later...

A dark viewfinder when stopped down is common on non mirror reflex cameras, Usually it involves opening the aperture on the lenses when focusing and then stopping down again. You could allow time for your eye to adapt to the lower light levels in the viewvinder, but it'll never be bright