Tape format for HD Transfers

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

I've seen the costs of HD telecine drop dramatically recently, and would love to do future transfers in the format. I've used Bonolab's uncompressed to hard drive option and was amazed at the quality of the format and what you can do with it (1080P 10-bit uncompressed). The only drawback for me with Bonolabs is their completely neutral transfer; I like a good colorist to help me in that area.

I really like Flying Spot Transfer in Seattle, but the only HD format they offer is HDCAM. Is HDCAM a bad format for a film transfer? I know the compression is different with that format, but if the colorist is good, do I really need uncompressed files for non-commercial work?

I transfer Super 8 and S16 generally.

• Premium Member

There are five HD tapes formats, excluding HDV.

DVCPRO-HD and HDCAM are 8-bit formats mainly designed for camcorders, but HDCAM is also common in post houses because of the number of people who shoot in HDCAM. HDCAM is 8-bit, 3:1:1, highly compressed.

HD-D5 is the most common post house HD deck, 10-bit, 4:2:2, and less compressed than HDCAM or DVCPRO-HD. Most movies shot on film doing an HD transfer use HD-D5.

HD-D6 Voodoo is rare and hardly used. Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 I think?

HDCAM-SR is 10-bit, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, and very mildly compressed. Highest-quality HD tape format currently.

So regular HDCAM is not particularly a good HD tape format to master to, but if you have no choice...

• Premium Member
There are five HD tapes formats, excluding HDV.

DVCPRO-HD and HDCAM are 8-bit formats mainly designed for camcorders, but HDCAM is also common in post houses because of the number of people who shoot in HDCAM. HDCAM is 8-bit, 3:1:1, highly compressed.

HD-D5 is the most common post house HD deck, 10-bit, 4:2:2, and less compressed than HDCAM or DVCPRO-HD. Most movies shot on film doing an HD transfer use HD-D5.

HD-D6 Voodoo is rare and hardly used. Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 I think?

HDCAM-SR is 10-bit, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, and very mildly compressed. Highest-quality HD tape format currently.

So regular HDCAM is not particularly a good HD tape format to master to, but if you have no choice...

Exactly what I needed... thanks David.