Super 8 Camera Repair

Mark Haag

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here. I tried to get a reponse on the super 8 usenet newsgroup, but not one response.

I have 3 cameras that need some work: Nizo 6056, Nizo 4080, Eumig Nautica. I've been to Pardees Cameras in Sacramento (they don't repair them), contacted a camera shop in Oakland that said they repair movie cameras on their website (they don't). HELP!! I'd appreciate any information you can provide.

6056: a battery terminal pin broke off, brought to local electronics repair shop, now it gets power, but doesn't do anything else.

4080: Eyepice broke off, I have the parts, tried to superglue it back, but need something permanent.

Nautica: Motor runs, film doesn't move. It's been stored for at least 10 years, so it would need servicing too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark Haag

Hi there,

I have heard that http://www.duallcamera.com

is worth a try.

Alternatively you could try http://www.video-technik-schacherl.de/

Apparently Kurt Schacherl is the ultimate Nizo guru, and I think I am right in saying he bought up the stock pile of spares when Braun ceased production of super8 cameras. However you would need to send your cameras to Germany of course.

Matt

• Premium Member

I sometimes wonder if Kodak could figure out a way to unretire Camera Repair Guys who worked in the 70's and 80's and are currently clueless that Super-8 is still being used. The initial cost to get something going might not be as much as one would think.

Super-8 Cameras can be bought on ebay all the time and if they don't work, can possibly be used as parts on fixable cameras of the same model. I currently have SEVERAL Eumig cameras that need lubing.

As a matter of a fact, most of the Eumig cameras made in the late 70's seem to need lubing every two years or so.

• 8 months later...
I sometimes wonder if Kodak could figure out a way to unretire Camera Repair Guys who worked in the 70's and 80's and are currently clueless that Super-8 is still being used.    The initial cost to get something going might not be as much as one would think. 

Super-8 Cameras can be bought on ebay all the time and if they don't work, can possibly be used as parts on fixable cameras of the same model.  I currently have SEVERAL Eumig cameras that need lubing.

As a matter of a fact, most of the Eumig cameras made in the late 70's seem to need lubing every two years or so.

--------------------------------------

Hey dudes,

There is another Super 8 repair guy who is very good with all types of cameras, Nizo's Beaulieu's included - that is:

http://www.ijmincorporated.com/ Irv Higdon - some of you have heard of him.

He sometimes takes a long time, but then again, can find solutions for many small problems that occur on particular cameras. His repair guy has 30 plus years of experience, and can do make-shift repairs when there are no parts etc. He's not cheap, but certainly will be able to tell you whether there's a chance to fix your camera.

Irv's number is 818.365.0385 - he's an interesting guy to talk to as well. I get my Nizo's and Beaulieu's fixed there and have been happy with the results. If any of you are looking for a mid-range Nizo (with the 7-56mm lens, or 8-48 lens, etc.) I'll have a couple for sale soon. I get them serviced first, so they're guaranteed to work. I also sell Avid Xpress DV workstations (PC) ready to edit - cheap! Get your super 8 transfered and create your super 8 master piece.

Chow,

Monty

Hi Mark.

Pardees has some neat stuff, but their prices are like retail + 20%.

In town, probably the only place that "might" do that, would be Dale at Action Camera in Roseville.

They're at Cirby & Sunrise, in the strip mall across Sunrise from Belair, a couple doors down to the left from Snap Photo & Brownies.

While you're in there, take a look at his amazing collection of Nikon stuff on the top shelf that cirlces the store.

Matt Pacini

I was using a guy named Georg Graf in L.A., although this was about 8-9 years ago, he was quite old and his health was not very good, and he was getting out of it, so I'm not sure he's still around (in every sense of the word, unfortunately!).

Really good guy. He shot WWII footage on orders from Goering. He had some great stories to tell, which was interesting, since my dad fought in WWII.

Matt Pacini

• 3 weeks later...

Mitch Perkins here in Toronto has a lot of experience with Nizo's. mitch perkins <mitchsperkins@yahoo.com>

But with the 6056 (and anything in that series) it is likely a broken belt, so look for someone with easy access to those belts. Nizo's in that series are known for being very quiet and it's thanks to that rubber belt, which breaks...

Rick

• Premium Member

Great Work Giles!

Have you considered adding the Bolex listing that I posted up above?

They even give a significant quantity discount if you send them three cameras at once!

I haven't sent my cameras in yet but I'm planning on it.

Also, I'm having no luck finding a Super-8 film festival that projects digitally, is strictly super-8 and gives out cash awards.

Two out of three of those criteria is fine, but it would be nice to have at least one festival in the world that projects digitally, is strictly super-8, and offers cash awards.

Alessandro,

just added Bolex.... how could I have missed that!

re: festivals, I've submitted Super 8, editied on DV, then screened from VHS (in PAL) on NTSC deck. Kinda knocks the edges of the effort really.

I'd agree, I'm still with you looking for that festival......

Giles

www.onsuper8.org

Super 8 is forty in 2005, what are you doing to celebrate?