Arri camera Paint

Mark Williams

• Premium Member

Spending a lot of money to upgrade and overhaul a professional camera and not have the camera repainted in a more contempary color is a mistake. Your clients make certain assumptions concerning what they observe during a shoot. An old beaten up camera can be perfectly maintained but you are behind the 8 ball as soon as your client sees it mounted on the tripod. Most producers know what the equipment looks like from seeing pictures on rental sites or on set. You have to met expectations. An ancient Arri SR 1 in SR3 grey is assumed to be no different and just as good as a SR3 to the casual observer. Fact of life!

Spending a lot of money to upgrade and overhaul a professional camera and not have the camera repainted in a more contempary color is a mistake. Your clients make certain assumptions concerning what they observe during a shoot. An old beaten up camera can be perfectly maintained but you are behind the 8 ball as soon as your client sees it mounted on the tripod. Most producers know what the equipment looks like from seeing pictures on rental sites or on set. You have to met expectations. An ancient Arri SR 1 in SR3 grey is assumed to be no different and just as good as a SR3 to the casual observer. Fact of life!

Asparco 100% agree.. I think though by painting it you could knock off its re-sale value. I had hoped someone may know of an arri compatible paint ect.. Sometimes on ebay you see old cameras that look really good and they usually command a high price. I wondered whether those cameras had a lick of paint..

Anyone know how to do this properly? :)

• Premium Member

Mark,

What Arri are you referring to? They had very different paint over the years. If it is an Arriflex 16S or S/B, they had the crinkle black paint finish. The Arriflex 16BL had a finish a bit more like the original Arriflex 16SR, which was semi flat black with those bumps all over. This was continued up through the SRII and then the SR3 has a different paint scheme all together. I only know the 16mm line of Arri cameras, I am sure there are very different paint schemes on the 35mm gear.

So what model Arriflex are you wanting to get repainted?

-Tim

So what model Arriflex are you wanting to get repainted?

-Tim

Tim an arri BL.

Tim I hav'nt called arri.. Im not sure they would appreciate a question like this let alone know the answer. Even if they know the answer it could still be hit and miss.. I was hoping someone may have done it. It seems kinda strange if no one has? :)

• Premium Member
Tim an arri BL.

Tim I hav'nt called arri.. Im not sure they would appreciate a question like this let alone know the answer. Even if they know the answer it could still be hit and miss.. I was hoping someone may have done it. It seems kinda strange if no one has? :)

Don't really know the BL that well, I mostly work on Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras and Arriflex 16SR cameras. What kind of paint is on it now? It isn't the crinkle like the S and S/B is it? I thought it was the semi-gloss with the bumps, but again I don't know that camera. I have seen S and S/B cameras repainted with a "semi-matte" paint, sort of half way between semi-gloss and flat black, and usually they don't look so good because it is obviously not the original crinkle paint. I have also seen one BL that was just gloss black. Is that how yours was originally painted, gloss black?

Here is a picture of one that looks pretty nice from eBay:

ArriBL.JPG

Looks like the body is semi-matte with bumps, the lens blimp is gloss black(looks anodized) and the magazine is semi-matte with the bumps. Is that what yours looks like, or used to look like when it was new?

-Tim

PS: I would not hesitate to call ARRI, I have always found them to be very helpful, at least the ARRI folks in New York, and after all, you did buy one of their cameras.

Don't really know the BL that well, I mostly work on Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras and Arriflex 16SR cameras. What kind of paint is on it now? It isn't the crinkle like the S and S/B is it? I thought it was the semi-gloss with the bumps, but again I don't know that camera. I have seen S and S/B cameras repainted with a "semi-matte" paint, sort of half way between semi-gloss and flat black, and usually they don't look so good because it is obviously not the original crinkle paint. I have also seen one BL that was just gloss black. Is that how yours was originally painted, gloss black?

Here is a picture of one that looks pretty nice from eBay:

ArriBL.JPG

Looks like the body is semi-matte with bumps, the lens blimp is gloss black(looks anodized) and the magazine is semi-matte with the bumps. Is that what yours looks like, or used to look like when it was new?

-Tim

PS: I would not hesitate to call ARRI, I have always found them to be very helpful, at least the ARRI folks in New York, and after all, you did buy one of their cameras.

Tim yes thats about right I never gave much thought to the bumpy speckled texture I guess thats the paint..

• Premium Member

quote name='Mark Williams' date='Feb 3 2006, 04:02 PM' post='88588']

Asparco 100% agree.. I think though by painting it you could knock off its re-sale value. I had hoped someone may know of an arri compatible paint ect.. Sometimes on ebay you see old cameras that look really good and they usually command a high price. I wondered whether those cameras had a lick of paint..

Anyone know how to do this properly? :)

If you are going to paint a camera you have it done professionally. P+S Technic does a like new repaint when they do an over-haul.

post-8736-1139014095.jpg

Cinematechnic in Miami does nice repaint. In both cases the cameras are disassembled before and prepared for new paint. I had a Arri SR Mag upgraded by Cinematechnic-almost had flames added to it like a motocycle fuel tank.

post-8736-1139013456.jpg

In a week or so my Arri-S PL/S16 will be back with it's new Arri-3 Grey paint job. Just in time for the next episode of "Monster Camera Garage"

• Premium Member

So that is your Arriflex 16SR that P+S Technik did the overhaul and repaint on? How much does a whole P+S conversion set you back, if you don't mind me asking? I take it they convert the camera and mags to Super16 and add the PL mount. What else is done?

Thanks,

-Tim

• Premium Member
So that is your Arriflex 16SR that P+S Technik did the overhaul and repaint on? How much does a whole P+S conversion set you back, if you don't mind me asking? I take it they convert the camera and mags to Super16 and add the PL mount. What else is done?

Thanks,

-Tim

To make a short story long

I bought the camera in 1992 used it till 2000. The bearings were going and it was getting a little chipped up. So I was faced with a major overhaul. I was faced with the choice of the overhaul or to chuck 16 entirely and get a Varicam. Past experience has been when faced with a serious challenge Kodak usuallly delivers some magic to stay competative. I figure at least one more magic rabbit trick was possible before the digital demise.

I had the camera overhauled/new paint/Super 16/PL Mount/1:85/1:66 fiber optic screen/Arri 3 gate/Rails/Registration pin also the fine pitch adjustment feature was added. Plus both mags upgraded and painted. All for 6 to 7k USD. This was before the dollar crashed --like 90 days before it crashed.

I figure you would spend 10K today.

Jorge @cinematechnic in Miami facilitated this transaction and also did a number of other things like replacing the outboard plug on the back of the camera so I would have two 11 pins for accessories, painting the viewfinder extender and handgrip Arri Grey. Also fabrication of a custom adapter to use an SR3 Eyepiece. So it was pretty much customized to my tastes.

post-8736-1139016633.jpg

• Premium Member

Is that a Van Deinem matte box on there? Looks like the one on my SR. But it looks like you have 4x5 filter trays.

I'm jealous of your Jurgen's. Axel tried to get me one for my SR that he is converting. I even talked with Mr. Jurgen in person, but he just does not have the parts to make any more of them. Bummer.

Nice camera set up there. Hope it's getting lots of use.

-Tim Carroll

• Premium Member
Is that a Van Deinem matte box on there? Looks like the one on my SR. But it looks like you have 4x5 filter trays.

I'm jealous of your Jurgen's. Axel tried to get me one for my SR that he is converting. I even talked with Mr. Jurgen in person, but he just does not have the parts to make any more of them. Bummer.

Nice camera set up there. Hope it's getting lots of use.

-Tim Carroll

Yes a van Diemen. I have 4x4 and 4x5.6 trays mounted on a Cinematechnic custom LiteWeight Bridgeplate with carbon fiber rods. Got them headers and a four barrel holly carb with a hurst shifter. Crager mags fat tires.... Yehaaaaaa sweet!

Ive heard lots of good things about Axel Broda.

It gets lots of use because I don't shoot video which has the effect of fuc cussing (excuse my french) your attention and ignoring a whole lot of distractions.

Just wait a week or so for the Arri-S PL/S16 I'll post some snaps.

Yehaaaa got that candy red paint...22coats...shag carrpeeet, bucket seats and a 8 track player Yehaaaaa!

post-8736-1139020753.jpg

post-8736-1139020788.jpg

post-8736-1139020823.jpg

• Premium Member

You seem to be having an unseasonably warm winter there in Chicago; sunning yourself by the lake and all. :)

You show me yours and I'll show you mine. Here it is, pre-conversion, what we like to call the stripped down economy model. No mag wheels, no custom paint . . . YET!

SR1a.jpg

-Tim

• Premium Member
You seem to be having an unseasonably warm winter there in Chicago; sunning yourself by the lake and all. :)

You show me yours and I'll show you mine. Here it is, pre-conversion, what we like to call the stripped down economy model. No mag wheels, no custom paint . . . YET!

SR1a.jpg

-Tim

Love to see your new camera . The folks that Jorge use for camera painting are in LA. If the camera is apart a paint job is not a major cost 2 to 3 hundred . It will enhance your re-sale and also make it "brand new"

I love Portland I shot a bunch projects out there. You have lots of micro breweries I tried everyone!

There was one in an insane asylum that was completely cool! As you might guess I have been having an in depth conversation with a girl from St Pauli. One of the lead people at Van Diemen has started their own company. True lens- They make the raven matte boxes all of the accessories will work with the Van Diemen matte box. www.truelens.co.uk

Isn't Cinematechnic the rental house that is the US representative for PS Technik? Is there any advantages to dealing with Cinematechnic rather than sending an SR straight to Germany for upgrades? I think they are in Munich if I am not mistaken.

I would give Arri a call to see if they sell the paint you need before you assume they wouldn't be helpful. I have found the guys in the shop at Arri in Blauvelt to be great unbaised technicians. But you may have to get past the manager of the shop. Years ago they had a woman who was terrific, I think it was Bernadette??? But ever since she left Arri they have not had one as good..IMHO.

Best

Tim

Edited by heel_e

• Premium Member
Isn't Cinematechnic the rental house that is the US representative for PS Technik? Is there any advantages to dealing with Cinematechnic rather than sending an SR straight to Germany for upgrades? I think they are in Munich if I am not mistaken.

I would give Arri a call to see if they sell the paint you need before you assume they wouldn't be helpful. I have found the guys in the shop at Arri in Blauvelt to be great unbaised technicians. But you may have to get past the manager of the shop. Years ago they had a woman who was terrific, I think it was Bernadette??? But ever since she left Arri they have not had one as good..IMHO.

Best

Tim

There location is down the street from Arri in Munich

The biggest advantage of using Cinematechnic as P+S Technics agent is that P+S Technic is not very Customer service oriented at all . They don't do email very well and they don't necessarily speak english. Jorge has a relaionship with them, can prep cameras before shipment which can save you dollars and understands there ordering system which can be cryptic. That has been my experience.

• Premium Member
There location is down the street from Arri in Munich

The biggest advantage of using Cinematechnic as P+S Technics agent is that P+S Technic is not very Customer service oriented at all . They don't do email very well and they don't necessarily speak english. Jorge has a relaionship with them, can prep cameras before shipment which can save you dollars and understands there ordering system which can be cryptic. That has been my experience.

Hi,

Everybody I have met from P+S speak good English. However if anything is not quite right with the camera on refurn, then Jorge will be able to sort it out for you quicker in Miami than sending it back to Munich. (I don't think Jorge ever had a camera problem from P+S)

Stephen

Hi

Read my lips... Never expect anything from Arri. They will not assist you with anything once they have sold you a camera. I recently asked for a 40 year old wiring diagram for a camera that they long ago stopped supporting. They refused. I shouldn't have bothered because many earlier requests have been ignored by them.

As far a Arri paint goes, this is a propriety product in conjunction with 3M. If you want a re-paint you will have to use the next best thing. We re-paint some cameras that we do conversions on, while they are apart. We use polyurethane and mostly do a second 'splatter' coat, like the Arri surface. This second coat provides a long life because the 'bumps' take a while to wear down to the first, smooth coat.

But never, I repeat never expect anything from Arri.

Bruce

• Premium Member

Bruce,

Since you are in Australia I am not sure which ARRI office you deal with. But I have had the exact opposite experience now for the last two years with ARRI in New York here in the States. They could not be more helpful. I agree, their prices are extremely high, but they have gone out of their way to help me with my two Arriflex cameras, one is fifty years old and one is closer to thirty years old. I cannot say enough positive things about the folks at the Blauvelt office in New York.

-Tim Carroll

Bruce,

Since you are in Australia I am not sure which ARRI office you deal with. But I have had the exact opposite experience now for the last two years with ARRI in New York here in the States. They could not be more helpful. I agree, their prices are extremely high, but they have gone out of their way to help me with my two Arriflex cameras, one is fifty years old and one is closer to thirty years old. I cannot say enough positive things about the folks at the Blauvelt office in New York.

-Tim Carroll

I'll second that. Living in the NYC area I just drive my SR up to Arri in Blauvelt for repairs. They can be expensive but if something wasn't repaired right the first time they make it up to you without hesitation. And I'm the type of person who would rather deal with them than some small mom and pop shop.

Best

Tim

P+S Technic is not very Customer service oriented at all .

Well they are German after all. heheheh. Americans perceive many Germans to be rude if thats what you mean. After living in the States for 8 years my German girlfriend thinks Germans are rude. But hey I'm American too so I agree.

But when I first saw a P and S upgrade I called them to discuss prices for my own SR and they were dealing with me in the way I would expect any company to deal with a prospective customer. I should have done it a few years ago when the dollar wasn't beaten up by the Euro.

They don't do email very well and they don't necessarily speak english.

I have found that most Germans speak English fairly well. Well thats the case for the Germans I meet in the NYC area and the ones I have met abroad. Most of us Americans however, have a German vocabulary limited to Hogan's Heros. Well with my girlfriends help I am working at it.

respectfully

Tim

Edited by heel_e

• 12 years later...
  • Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by "the dot under the camera's arri SR3"?

As far as I know, modern Arriflex cameras (SR3, 435 etc) use a 2 pack spatter finish paint. The hard part isn't the paint job, but dismantling the camera completely, stripping off the old paint and prepping the part. It's usually only worth doing yourself if you know how to re-assemble the camera correctly, otherwise you have a beautifully fresh painted door-stop.

I would recommend Gecko-Cam in Munich to do Arri repaint jobs.

If it's just a small touch-up, find an automotive touch-up paint that is the closest colour match.