Conversions to super 16

zanardi

Since i'm starting out i'm looking for the best package and it seems to require a few things. Must be able to have a motor and battery, 400' mag, super 16, and decent lense mount. I rather not debate what makes a good package but find out what cine cameras can offer these things and what price, like i know the Eclair acl can pretty much forfil these, and the same later arri's, bolex of course but what others?

Guest Ian Marks

The Russian Kinor is an interesting camera with many outstanding features. As normally supplied, it has a stabilized motor running at 25 fps (the European sound speed), but it can be converted to crystal with multiple speeds and to Super 16. These cameras will take a very compact 100 foot magazine in addition to the usual 400 footer. A few years ago I examined a Kinor at Slow Motion, Inc. That camera had been upgraded with new electronics, multiple crystal speeds, Super 16, PL mount, and a spiffy paint job in Arriflex grey. It was awesome. It was way out of my league, pricewise, but in retrospect I think it was a bargain, as it was essentially a new camera.

Another often overlooked camera is Cinema Products GSMO. From what I've gathered by reading this forum, Optical Electrohouse in Culver City can modify the GSMO to Super 16.

Beyond that you've got your usual suspects: The Arri SR's, the Eclair NPR and ACL, the various Aatons, the CP16R, and beyond that cameras you probably wouldn't consider for use as "A" cameras - Bolexes, ancient Auricons, and cameras made in various former hobnail boot factories.