k-3 and quick education

zanardi

ok, some dumb newbie questions, can a k-3 be mounted on a tripod? where and what is a registration numbers purpose, and should i ask to view it on an after winning an ebay sale if no picture is availbe?

Yes. The same threading that the pistol grip screws into will take a standard tripod screw. I don't see why a registration number would be relevant since you aren't getting a warranty and K3's aren't like Bolex's (a reg number isn't going to indicate a specific model and certain features) - but I don't know where the number is, either. Why would you bid on an item that has no picture? Sure, a picture might be fake, but not having a picture to me seems too similar to not having a camera.

• Premium Member

You need to get an adapter to use on a normal tripod... I ordered one a few months ago from B&H Photo for $7.95. Most good pro photography stores should carry something like this.

Here's the model:

Arca-Swiss ARB.2538

Adapter Screw 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Bushing REG

www.bhphotovideo.com

The reason they list a number is so you know that he is shipping the same camera he is advertising. But with out a picture, that doesn't really do you any good. Frankly, if he can't figure out how to post a picture, I wouldn't deal with him. Ask for a picture. If he is out of the country you live in and there's no picture, skip it.

You also need to ask about the lens mount. You need to know what kind you are getting.

There is nothing rare about the K3 so don't feel like you have to bid on the most recent auction. Ask questions of the seller. Ask if it is a "used" camera or "unsold stock". Also, look at the sellers feedback. Read them, look for people that mention the camera in the feedback. Then contact the buyers and ask them if they are happy with the seller. You can contact 10 buyers a day. I have done this. I contacted 50 people. 11 emailed back and said they were happy. (Sadly, I don't remember the sellers name, if I can find it, I'll post. I bevieve it began with a S.) and the deal went well. You need to do everything you can to protect yourself. Paypal only, no wire transfers. (Doesn't really make that much differene. I just feel paypal is more "normal". If you do get ripped off though, I think you'd be out of luck either way.)

I have bought 2 thinks from the the old CCCP. Both went fine. Read this board though. There is a seller that others have questions about. Remember, the time to ask questions is before you bid.

If you get a good one, the K3 is a great camera.

Joe

You need to get an adapter to use on a normal tripod... I ordered one a few months ago from B&H Photo for $7.95. Most good pro photography stores should carry something like this.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Sorry, my mistake. You do need the bushing. I bought mine from BH as well, but I went for the generic brand that was only a couple bucks.

A picture says a lot about a seller. If they say they can't figure out how to post one, I figure they're lying. And when it comes to pictures, avoid the seller who use the same picture for every 'brand new!' K3 that he sells.

• Premium Member
You also need to ask about the lens mount. You need to know what kind you are getting.

Just to clarify, their are two variants that I have herd of, some use the pentax style screw mount, other use a bayonet mount.The bayonet is probaly a bit more secure, but only lens from the Former Soviet Union come in that mount. (as far as I can find out) The screw mount has hundreeds of lenes available, although all for a slightly bigger format. (lots of telephoto options - few wide angles)

For the K-3 there are 3 lens mounts types. There's the m42 Pentax screw mount, the bayonette mount and the third is I don't actually know what to call it. I have not seen another mount like this on any other camera, still or motion picture. I have not seen any other k-3's with this third lens mount except for the one I own and I have several of these camera's with the different mounts. It is kinda of like a c-clamp but was factory made like this. The standard Meteor zoom lens just slides in and on the camera there is a lever that turns, to lock it in place.

• Premium Member
I have not seen any other k-3's with this third lens mount except for the one I own and I have several of these camera's with the different mounts. It is kinda of like a c-clamp but was factory made like this. The standard Meteor zoom lens just slides in and on the camera there is a lever that turns, to lock it in place.

THANKS< that explains the weird lens I bought on e-bay one time. A K-3 Zoom with no mount, just a smooth cilider about an inch long ... I thought that maybe the mount had been removed. AT the time i bought it I only knew of the Pentax mounts and I put in a low bid figuring I would play with it on a still camera. (with the mirror locked up if needed.)

For the K-3 there are 3 lens mounts types. There's the m42 Pentax screw mount, the bayonette mount and the third is I don't actually know what to call it. I have not seen another mount like this on any other camera, still or motion picture. I have not seen any other k-3's with this third lens mount except for the one I own and I have several of these camera's with the different mounts. It is kinda of like a c-clamp but was factory made like this. The standard Meteor zoom lens just slides in and on the camera there is a lever that turns, to lock it in place.

sounds interesting. Could you please post a photo of this mount? Thank you.

chris