sync ssound at no sync ( 36 fps )speed

Guest oscar

Guest oscar

Hi there, I do have a question and want to be certain about things. What would be the amount of speed in pitch ( It's the same as acceleration?) for normal 29.97 frames SMPTE 48 khz sound to be played sync for a shoot at 36 fps to be xnsfered at 36 fps and have again that 29.97 speed?

Thank you very much

Oscar

If I read this correctly it ends up as a trick question. Sound doesn't care what speed you shoot picture at as long as you play back that picture at the same speed. If you are shooting film at 36fps and then transferring it back at 36fps (on a Meta-speed transfer), then the motion will be the same, although I have no clue as to why you want to do such a thing. But the image speed would be the same as you shot it so the sound would be as well.

If on the other hand, you are shooting at 36fps to transfer back at 24fps, your image will be slowed down by a factor of 1.5x, so you need to do the same to your audio. So assuming you're shooting a music video (this is what most people do this sort of thing for) and you wish to have the people move in slow motion, you need to take your original audio source and speed it up by a factor of 1.5x before shooting (you can do this easily enough in a sound program like Pro Tools). Use that playback as your guide for the singer to lip sync to and when you then transfer the image at normal speed you use the original normal speed audio and it should match perfectly.

29.97 video has nothing to do with any of this unless I'm completely missing what you're asking here. Most people do this sort of work with a 2x factor (48 fps), as the math is much easier and the timecode for syncing is as well (simply dropping every other number).

I shot a music video once where they tried to do a 3x and have the singer dance and do various acrobatics and it was a nightmare. The song was going incredibly fast and the poor girl could never keep up with the music and deal with her choreography. I thought she was going to hyperventilate and pass out and the 3x footage was mostly unusable. Luckilly the producer had the foresight to insist on having a 2x version prepared as well so we shot with that most of the day.

Guest oscar

Thank you very much. So, I did my math and calculations says that it should be 66.66% of a 100% ( 24*100/36 ) for my sound to go sync for that speed, though what I want its to xnsfer it at 36 fps back again, so to be played against audio at "normal speed - 100%" and for the video to remain in sync with normal speed audio, that's my question, I think having the footage transferred back at 36 fps will do for a sync with normal speed, am I right? or awfully wrong??

thank you very much indeed.

Oscar

I think having the footage transferred back at 36 fps will do for a sync with normal speed, am I right? or awfully wrong??

If you shoot something at 36 fps and transfer it at 36 fps, then events onscreen will play out at the same speed as the did in reality. But what would be the point of doing this?

Guest oscar

Hi Mitch. I was wrongfully thinking, there is no point doing that back again @ 36 fps. Stupidity was knocking on my door when I thought that, If sound its to be accelerated for an 36 fps equivalent, xnsfer then should be done @ 24 fps for the image to look "soft " in movement and therefore be in sync with playback at normal speed.

Thank you very much indeed, that's why this forum is so good!!!

Oscar