ultra primes for blow up

orestis lambrou

I'm planning to use the ultra primes for a short film project intended for optical blow up. Would it be best to use super16 lenses as they have higher resolution for the format, since the film is going to be blown up? I know the ultra primes work fine for telecine, but never tried them for blow up. Any advise?

Thanks,

Orestis.

Thanks Mikael for your reply, but maby i should clarify my question; the prefered lenses are the ultra primes because of their wide range of focal lengths which suite the style of the film, as compared to the distagons for example (the only 16mm lenses the rental house has) whose range is not prefered. My question is wether I would have a problem blowing up s16mm neg thats was shot with the ultra primes designed for 35mm negatives.

hi Orestis,

you will not have any problems using ultra primes shooting on s16 for 35mm blow up, because they have a very good resolution. but you will still have the s16mm deph of field because of the circle of confusion (0,0125mm).

have a good shoot.

regards

Mikael.

Uh oh, looks like we're on the verge of jumping into that "16mm vs 35mm lens" discussion again.

I still haven't gotten a straight, qualified answer as to whether a 16mm lens is sharper than a 35mm lens. (I'm not talking about focal lengths here). I'm thinking no.

The statement keeps coming up "it has to be sharper for the smaller frame size", (or the reverse-that 35mm doesn't need to be as sharp), but that assumes that "THE END RESULT IS THE SAME IMAGE QUALITY", which of course, it's not going to be no matter what.