Changing lenses on camera

Guest filmguy

Guest filmguy

This might be a stupid question. I'm shooting a 16mm project with the aaton XTR. I'm using zeiss primes. Is it possible to change the lens in the middle of takes, with the same mag on the camera. Will this expose my film?

This might be a stupid question. I'm shooting a 16mm project with the aaton XTR. I'm using zeiss primes. Is it possible to change the lens in the middle of takes, with the same mag on the camera. Will this expose my film?

Do you mean you want to change the lens while the camera is running? The film will be overexposed as light will enter the camera without restrictions from aperture plates and glass. And you won't get an image. Well, you'll get an image but it will be abstract. There are movies where the lens was taken out of the mount and put back in during the take. I'm sorry i can't recall the names of any of this movies.

If you change the lens while the camera is not running there's no problem. Usually the shutter stops in viewing position (closed). And even if the shutter would stop opened, this would be one exposed frame.

Guest filmguy
Do you mean you want to change the lens while the camera is running? The film will be overexposed as light will enter the camera without restrictions from aperture plates and glass. And you won't get an image. Well, you'll get an image but it will be abstract. There are movies where the lens was taken out of the mount and put back in during the take. I'm sorry i can't recall the names of any of this movies.

If you change the lens while the camera is not running there's no problem. Usually the shutter stops in viewing position (closed). And even if the shutter would stop opened, this would be one exposed frame.

My scenario is the second one, with the camera not running. Thank you for your response. That is good to know. I am more used to shooting with zoom lenses, but looking forward to the primes. I was worried that I'd have to shoot a whole mag with only one lens.

I think that might be a cool effect of actually taking a lense off mid scene and replacing it with another one...if you could do it quickly enough and have the focus set already and everything...

Some weird little abstract moment...of course it could be complete crap...who knows...just keep my fingers out of the shot...

If you can remember those movies, Daniel...it would be much appreciated...I'd love to see it...

Thanks,

John

I think that might be a cool effect of actually taking a lense off mid scene and replacing it with another one...if you could do it quickly enough and have the focus set already and everything...

Some weird little abstract moment...of course it could be complete crap...who knows...just keep my fingers out of the shot...

If you can remember those movies, Daniel...it would be much appreciated...I'd love to see it...

---I've gone through newsreel out takes in which the lens on the turret is switched while the camera is running. an interesting look, the picture streaks out top of the frame and a different size picture streaks in from the bottom.

I think there's a scene in 'Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors' where this is done.

---LV

On a related note, didn't David Lynch unthread the lens and wobble it back & forth for the 'freak out' effects in 'Lost Highway'? I've heard this but I'm not sure how true it is.

It was detailed in an article in American Cinematographer. The lens was supported by a mount on the frontrods. The lens mount was physically moved in and out front the lens mount along the rods. It only takes a few microns for the image to go out of focus.

My scenario is the second one, with the camera not running. Thank you for your response. That is good to know. I am more used to shooting with zoom lenses, but looking forward to the primes. I was worried that I'd have to shoot a whole mag with only one lens.

Maybe you should stick to directing...

And just let a DP with some experience worry about those kind of problems.

Not to be insulting but it seems shooting isn't your strong point.

well regardless

Good Luck

It doesn't matter what type of lens you are using. Once the camera stops running, the film is guarded from light by the reflex mirror (shutter). This is to allow viewing of the image while the camera is off. In most reflex cameras (even still cameras, they work on the same principle), light coming from the lens cannot hit the viewfinder and the film simultaneously. It has to be redirected by way of a mirror to either location. One exception off the top of my head is the Canon Scoopic, which uses a prism to split entering light between the viewfinder and the film.

---I've gone through newsreel out takes in which the lens on the turret is switched while the camera is running. an interesting look, the picture streaks out top of the frame and a different size picture streaks in from the bottom.

I think there's a scene in 'Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors' where this is done.

---Saw 'Schizopolis' over the week end.

In both the cecil b. demille homage introduction and outro, teh turret is rotatated in shot.

---LV