Hard Drive Formats

Charles Haine

having a hard time nailing down an answer to this: what is the highest quality data that can be sent from this camera to a hard drive like the FireStore? Are we talking about HDV, or something closer to the DVCPRO HD of the Panasonic?

thanks,

Charles Haine

• Premium Member
having a hard time nailing down an answer to this: what is the highest quality data that can be sent from this camera to a hard drive like the FireStore? Are we talking about HDV, or something closer to the DVCPRO HD of the Panasonic?

thanks,

Charles Haine

Hi,

It depenss on the camera. The Panasonic HVX200 will record DVCPRO HD to the firestore.

Stephen

Ooops, sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant "this camera," the JVC.

I know it records HDV to tape, and also to hard drives, but I can't seem to find a spec if it records HDV, or some other HD format, to the hard drive.

I'm inclined towards the HVX, but just worried about lens quality so investigating the JVC.

thanks,

chuck

• Premium Member
Ooops, sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant "this camera," the JVC.

I know it records HDV to tape, and also to hard drives, but I can't seem to find a spec if it records HDV, or some other HD format, to the hard drive.

I'm inclined towards the HVX, but just worried about lens quality so investigating the JVC.

thanks,

chuck

Hi,

Record the SDI output to a raid then you have uncompressed. It won't be easy to handle but if your after quality, it's the way to go.

Stephen

Sorry, I can see I'm not being very clear.

I am aware that the Firestore drive is available for both the Panasonic and JVC camera's (or will be when they are released). For the Panasonic, it records DVCPRO HD to the drive, and doesn't bother with HDV to the tape (which makes sense to me).

The JVC records HDV or DV to tape, but what format does it record to the drive? HDV seems strange to me, since that is a format designed to deal with the limited data rate of DV tapes, so why wouldn't they use another format if going to drive with a larger data rate?

Unfortunately, i can find an answer anywhere on the JVC website, so I was hoping one of you who have bought the camera might have a sense of whether or not it records in HDV, or a higher-data rate format, when working with a Firestore.

Of course, with the HD-SDI out (which I thought only the Canon had, I didn't realize this camera has one as well), you could go to a RAID Array, but I'm interested in camera mobility.

thanks,

chuck haine

• Premium Member
The JVC records HDV or DV to tape, but what format does it record to the drive? HDV seems strange to me, since that is a format designed to deal with the limited data rate of DV tapes, so why wouldn't they use another format if going to drive with a larger data rate?

thanks,

chuck haine

Hi,

The JVC supports HDV, DV & HD-SDI. HD-SDI can only be recorded to a raid.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi,

This is the JVC GY-HD100 #13030151. The connectors are marked:

Line Output (3.5mm jack)

DC Input (DC jack)

Pr (RCA)

Pb (RCA)

Video/Y (RCA)

IEEE1394 (6-pin firewire)

Input 1 (3-pin XLR)

Input 2 (3-pin XLR)

Lens (12-pin Hirose)

(Unmarked, viewfinder, custom connector)

Phones (3.5mm jack)

The manual does not mention SDI and I have an HD-SDI monitor here right now which will accept the HD100's HD signal only via YUV component. The outputs are unmatched RCA connectors and the picture is poor for it - the last thing you'd want to use.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

The component outputs are the highest quality outputs that the JVC has. To the best of my knowledge, on the 60p can be output at uncompressed. I just recently met with JVC's lead engineer, and he confirmed this assumption.

As to the drives, any HD signal that ever passes through firewire is compressed. If you use one of the firestore drives with the HVX, the same things happens. So, your 720p 4:4:4 footage on the JVC will be compressed to 4:2:0 after passing through the firewire cable to the Harddrive. This means the best way to get 24p footage out of the JVC is to record to tape, and then take the tape through an HDV deck that is hooked to your computer via an AJA Kona LH card using the component inputs. This will give you 4:2:2 footage.

If you want the highest output possible, you can shoot 60p uncompressed hooking your camera up through the component outputs. The look like RCA outputs, but once you plug all three video cables in (R/G/B) it will passthrough at uncompressed.

I hope this helps,

Justin Talley

profnoxin@gmail.com

www.justintalley.8m.com

• Premium Member
Hi,

This is the JVC GY-HD100 #13030151. The connectors are marked:

The manual does not mention SDI and I have an HD-SDI monitor here right now which will accept the HD100's HD signal only via YUV component. The outputs are unmatched RCA connectors and the picture is poor for it - the last thing you'd want to use.

Phil

Phil,

Looking at the flow diagram from JVC I see an HD-SDI encoder. My mistake I stand corrected!

Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi,

The XLH1 has an HD-SDI connector.

Of the three principal cameras (Sony Z1, Canon XLH1, JVC HD100) it is the only one to be afforded this output. Unfortunately it also has the second-best (and not really very good) progressive scan mode. The omission of a full-rate digital output on the HD100 is nuts, especially as JVC don't have many other cameras in this market against which to avoid competition.

If someone wants to fund me an HD100 and a Xilinx FPGA development board I will be happy to add one...

Phil