"french" terms

Thomas Cousin

hello,

sometimes, reading this forum or the american cinematographer, i can't really figure out what are the equivalents here, in terms of tools.

what exactly is "tracing paper" ? is it like "silk paper" ?

another thing. i very often read about muslin or bleached muslin. but it seems that it's not (very) used here in france. does it have another name here ? is it the same diffusion material that you found on 12'x12' frame ? like "spi" or "tulle" ?

thank you.

thomas

Edited by Thomas Cousin

• Premium Member
hello,

sometimes, reading this forum or the american cinematographer, i can't really figure out what are the equivalents here, in terms of tools.

what exactly is "tracing paper" ? is it like "silk paper" ?

another thing. i very often read about muslin or bleached muslin. but it seems that it's not (very) used here in france. does it have another name here ? is it the same diffusion material that you found on 12'x12' frame ? like "spi" or "tulle" ?

thank you.

thomas

Well, not knowing French, it's hard to say what those terms mean either. "Tulle" (here) is sort of a netting like in bridal veil, so I'm guessing it's what we call a "scrim" -- not for diffusion, but to darken a light.

Tracing paper is often called "1000H paper" here (which is a vellum-like material a little thicker than real tracing paper.) Tracing paper is just a really thin partially-transparent paper used in drawing to trace over the drawing underneath the paper.

Muslin is just a type of cotton cloth, a thin plain-weave cloth used in some bedsheets and shirts.

ok thanks,

So i understand what is "tracing paper", the same kind of diffusion material that 216,250 for example, but the kind you can buy at regular store.

and "tulle", yes , as in the USA , it's the same kind of veil as you talked about, david, here in france.

just doing a little research, i think i have the french equivalent for muslin, it is maybe called here "cotton gratté". i can find it at rental houses, for mounting on frames.i think it's that.

but contrary to north america and maybe england, i don't think this kind of material is often used here.

it seems strange to me as you seem to use a lot of this for your shooting there. and it's very useful.

maybe, just a matter of culture and taste.

and laurent, i think "tarlatanne" is quite different from muslin.

by the way, merci pour tout.

thomas