RX Switars on non Bolex Cameras

Isaac Chung

I read in another post that RX Switar lenses shouldn't be used on non Bolex RX cameras b/c the lenses were designed for the Bolex only.

Supposing I use RX Switars on my Eclair ACL2, what are the issues? DuAll Camera in New York tells me that it will be fine. Could someone explain who is right or wrong?

Thanks--

check: http://www.city-net.com/~fodder/bolex/truth.html :D

stop the RX-lenses down and it should work :)

tests recommendet...

I guess the wider the lens, the more one has to stop it down?

I wonder how much I have to stop down the 10mm Switar RX on a non RX-Camera to get it sharp, has anyone done some tests?

Anyone tried the Switar 75mm 1:1.9 on an non RX-Cam? it doesn't have the RX in it's name, is it then not really a RX-Lens? I love this lens would be great to use it on a Eclair...

regards, Bernhard

Thanks,

So it's possible to use, just that the lenses have to be closed further than f/3.2.

This is very limiting.

haven't tried yet, not sure about that f/3.2-thing, to shoot some test-charts might give the answer, maybe you even have to stop further down than 3.2...

Yes, I would test the lens : what's the price of a roll of film in comparison with getting an equivalent lens ? People have different answers on the RX question... 'better safe than sorry' is the standard answer until you do your own tests...

As for the Switar 75mm, it's a regular lens, so good to go for any C-mount camera.

By the way, there were regular versions of most, if not all, those nice Switars, even the late preset series (26/1.1 and 10/1.6), because Bolex kept a line of non-Reflex cameras (M) until the mid-70's. Keep your eyes opened for them : I missed a non-RX Macro-Switar 26 mounted on a surveillance camera a while back on eBay (went for a ridiculously low price) and I'm still biting my fingers about it !

-B

Years ago I put RX Switars on a Sony ENG camera with a c mount lens and it all looked terrific. I wanted to work with prime lenses and not the cheesy zoom lens that had been made for the camera. I forget the camera name: Sony 1800 or something like that. I think it was an early 80's dual system camera that came with a portable 3/4 inch deck for recording.

Best

Tim