SPG

Phil Rhodes

Josh, I was looking to you, as a guy who appears to be pretty savvy about current espression, to enlighten me on this word.

The disappointment is devestating.

Up here in the Great White North, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has given an hourly nightly news show to a guy whose job is to relate to young people. Some people think that his show is a joke! But others of us have noticed little difference in terms of content between his show and CNN, or for that matter the CBC National News.

Anyway, even he has ue has talked about giving someone props, and I have even seen the word used on this web site.

Enlightenment please.

Or do we have to bring in William Safire?

a well-deserved proper acknowledgement of respect and/or admiration.

forealz.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
It's like kudos, except updated. Kudos 2.0, if you will.

Lordy, Lordy, I know that already.

The question is, where does it come from and who is using it?

When Edward Burns uses it, as he does ad nauseum, it sounds fake. That means, if it comes out of New York, it ain't from his neighbourhood.

Is it an LA term, or something that filmmakers think is cool?

Really, this is a job for Safire, or the younger participants in this forum. Dare I say that this is a job for Ashley and Landon?

I never claimed to be hip. I will claim to be total doofus dork. How's that work for ya? The first time someone told me something was "off the hook", I was completely lost.

I still say it's an extreme shortening of "proper dues to ye, kind sir, for something that ye have done that was quite excellent in some way," "proper respect," "proper credit," something like that.

So you're going to defer to those who can't spell/write well themselves for the etymology of a slang term? How ironical!

Anyway, I found this in the online etymology dictionary:

"prop (n.2) Look up prop at Dictionary.com

"object used in a play," 1911, from props (1841), shortened form of properties (in theatrical use from c.1425). Props as slang shortening for proper respects (or something similar) appeared c.1999."

As to who uses it. . .who DOESN'T use it? Mad props to David Mullen for his cinematography, and for posting here and sharing his knowledge.

Mad props, are of course, props to the max.

Edited by Josh Bass

Lordy, Lordy, I know that already.

When Edward Burns uses it, as he does ad nauseum, it sounds fake. That means, if it comes out of New York, it ain't from his neighbourhood.

Really, this is a job for Safire, or the younger participants in this forum. Dare I say that this is a job for Ashley and Landon?

The word (like many others from the new slang) comes out of the hip-hop culture

It's orgins probably date to circa early 90's--maybe as far back as the late 80's

Personally I started to notice it around the early 90's...

Growing up in an urban center where hip-hop was the be all and end all,

I was privy to it long before it became part of the mainstream.

I would say it was embraced by the mainstream (mainly the kids) nearing the late 90's

When the hip-hop culture really took off all over America

(it's hard for me to tell because I grew up around the hiphop culture

I could never really know when it really became popular out in the rest of America)

One thing I notice was that around the late 90's most of my white friends started using hip-hop slang

Of course white kids raise within NYC are different from those raised in a suburb in Indiana or Wisconsin...

So the fad might have taken more time to reach the rest of the country...I doubt though.

I'm certain by the begining of this decade it was a pretty common word in teenage vernacular.

Thanks to television, the internet and mobile technology the world changes much faster

And slang changes often in a matter of years...soon we won't be able to tell who says what...

Nowadays slang can evolve amongst a small group of people travel the world over quite quickly

And still be very obscure to most people who've never heard it.

So I say it's gonna be tougher being a parent in the future.

Well that's enough, I hope I answered your question.

This is really off-topic for this forum...

but I was an english major and I love studying the origins of language and culture.

(Imagine and few hundred years where the American English language might be...wow!)

Anyways let's get back to cameras, f-stops, telecines, FCP, and bickering. :)

• Premium Member
I can't believe this discussion. What is the big deal? These comments are usually written off the cuff and in a hurry, WHO CARES IF THERE ARE MISSPELLINGS in the text. We're not copying the BIBLE or writing down the instructions for building a fusion reactor. Is anyone out there feeling so superior that they're actually offened by a few misspelled words? If so, Good God get a life. If the content is interesting or informative, I couldn't care less if it's grammer and spelling is a little off. And just to answer one statement, I can't spell to save my life but have written, directed and produced several things. That's why God and Microsoft invented spellcheck!

Are you trying to raise a controversy again?

You know damn well that we are not talking about 'a few misspelled words', which happen to everyone, but some of these messages, if you were to put them in a spellchech the poor programm would go absolutely bonkers. How can anyone expect a serious discussion or even just a simple answer to their question if their messages require a cryptology expert to decipher them? If you want people to take time to help you, at least make an effort and write a clearly legible post.

Props as slang shortening for proper respects (or something similar) appeared c.1999."

I first came accross this word while reading 'Slam' basketball magazine I guess. Must have been around that time.

• Premium Member
Are you trying to raise a controversy again?

You know damn well that we are not talking about 'a few misspelled words', which happen to everyone, but some of these messages, if you were to put them in a spellchech the poor programm would go absolutely bonkers. How can anyone expect a serious discussion or even just a simple answer to their question if their messages require a cryptology expert to decipher them? If you want people to take time to help you, at least make an effort and write a clearly legible post.

I first came accross this word while reading 'Slam' basketball magazine I guess. Must have been around that time.

Max the man/ woman is called Capt. Video for god's sake. He/ she is just getting irritated because he/ she knows they will never get the 'props' they think they deserve- unless he/she can find a Private Video (actually I think that wouldn't be too hard to find on the less 'family orientated' places on the internet!).

keith

No, I don't know that's what your talking asbout because quite frankly having a message that's not deciferible doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I've probably seen 2 messages on this board that didn't make sense and that's because of content not spelling. It isn't brain surgery to figure them out but perhaps it's more difficult for those of us that are less gifted, intellectually speaking, I don't know. I think it's more snobbery than anything else and as for this SCATHING attack on my manhood. Is that all you got? Your insult barely made makes sense although your spelling is Impecable, Bravo! I don't look to start controvery without reason but sometimes a man just can't let things lie.

Edited by Capt.Video

Carriage Return. Please. You're making me tired.

Carriage Return this, Dude. You comments were TIRED long before this post. If you want to degrade this into flames and personal attacks, BRING IT ON! I'm polite to people that are polite but have no problem dealing with those that are not, so it's up to you.

• Premium Member
---I seem to recall there used to be 'trim bins' in American film editing rooms.

It had a rack over a cloth bag. There were wire hooks on the rack, on which lengths of film were hung by those funny little holes running along the edges.

Sometimes the editor would snip off bits of film he didn't want.

He would call those pieces trims and toss them into the cloth bag.

Or maybe it was just due to something I ate before going to sleep.

---LV

I was going to use that image for "bin" but thought that allusion would be lost on Forum denizens who have never enjoyed the pleasure of having film bits hanging all over the place. There have been some improvements since the dark ages.......they're called NLE's! :)

On the serious (?) side of this thread, good spelling seems to be acquired early in childhood. One can expand one's vocabulary later but there seems to be a built in bio-spellchecker that has to be activated in the early school years. I too get frustrated by trying to read badly written and spelled posts but the Forum is about making beautiful pictures and I'm going to work overtime on keeping that in mind. If an individual's spelling, sexuality, politics, nationality, religion, or whatever bothers me, that's about me, here I'll try to judge the person only on their capabilities as a filmmaker. Also, Cinematography is indeed a world-wide profession, and anyone whose native lanquage isn't English and loves the world film community enough to brave posting here should automatically receive 25 extra points for courage.

Edmond, OK

Your comments seem the most relevent I've seen on this thread so far. This forum is meant to be a cooperative effort to help one another become better filmmakers by sharing information, theories and ideas about the various aspects of the art of filmmaking. the rest is really irrelevent to that effort.

Guest david west

audiris,

i havent even read the whole thread.... however, this is a concept that comes up in many forums.....

i try and do the best i can to "decode" what others have written.... even my own words can look odd when visited a few days or weeks later.... perhaps it is vest to realize that foremost is the main idea being presented.... If the grammer, spelling, etc is all perfect then the idea is going to have even more credibility.... (deserved or not)... and the opposite is true as well....

oh, the reason i couldnt resist posting.....

....................................... spellchech????

Well put. Also, extra credits for having the energy to write it. It pretty much sums up how I feel about it too. I do however think that Phil's pre-flaming was fun enough to deserve a sympathy-post.

Btw, I think several dictionaries have "lense" noted as a variation to "lens".

webster.com lists both lens and lense....

Guest david west

after reading the entire thread---- i now realize that it is offensive to some if CAPS are not used....

after BBSing in the days before the internet, and the IRCing on the internet for longer than i can remember i have to say this---- this is the internet... HEY YOU, YES YOU!!! <--- that now MEANS something different than it did in the days before the internet....(It means that you are hollering, or have at least raised your voice)... many forums operate the same as the irc and you must be careful when using caps so as not to offend... i hope my ideas still come across because after so many years it has become difficult to use the caps keys.... 40wpm without, 8wpm with.... and my time is limited.... hope that made some degree of sense....

• Premium Member
I can't believe this discussion. What is the big deal? These comments are usually written off the cuff and in a hurry, WHO CARES IF THERE ARE MISSPELLINGS in the text. We're not copying the BIBLE or writing down the instructions for building a fusion reactor. Is anyone out there feeling so superior that they're actually offened by a few misspelled words? If so, Good God get a life. If the content is interesting or informative, I couldn't care less if it's grammer and spelling is a little off. And just to answer one statement, I can't spell to save my life but have written, directed and produced several things. That's why God and Microsoft invented spellcheck!

A lot of people care if there are a lot of spelling and grammer errors in posts. That's why this thread is getting so long. You do make a good point about spell check though. It's very easy to spellcheck if you aren't a good speller. The problem is when people don't care enough to use it.

You're talking about grammer and spelling being "a little off", but we're talking about constant and neverending spelling and grammer errors. Like many people have already said....a few errors here and there is no big deal.

• Premium Member
Carriage Return this, Dude. You comments were TIRED long before this post. If you want to degrade this into flames and personal attacks, BRING IT ON! I'm polite to people that are polite but have no problem dealing with those that are not, so it's up to you.

Of course you don't mind this becoming a flame attack.....you don't use your real name. Why should you care?

Of course you don't mind this becoming a flame attack.....you don't use your real name. Why should you care?

[/quote

I care because flaming is a waste of time and completely unproductive, but if some jackass decides to make it personal I'll be all to happy to tear them a new one, medaphorically speaking of course. I don't use my name on any board for reasons of security and privicy. I don't need virus ridden emails from some idiot who disagrees with what I say and are to cowardly or stupid to debate a point rationally. I never start a personal attack but am quite capible of defending myself when attacked and if you did read the entire thread you'll notice spellcheck is not availible on this board so Nach, your going to have a larger number of spelling and grammer errors and more that likely these will be consistantly wrong. If someone isn't aware they're spelling a word incorrectly it's unlikely that they'll remember to correct it the next time so get over it , noone misspells to annoy you personally. If it's that upsetting to you DON"T READ THEIR POSTS.

• Premium Member
If it's that upsetting to you DON"T READ THEIR POSTS.

As Dominic also noted, your endless blocks of text are painful to read. Many other people are probably only scanning them or skipping them entirely as I do. It is not a personal attack, it's constructive criticism to help YOU.

As Dominic also noted, your endless blocks of text are painful to read. Many other people are probably only scanning them or skipping them entirely as I do. It is not a personal attack, it's constructive criticism to help YOU.

That's a laugh. There is nothing constructive about you "criticism", your nothing more than a simple minded flamer who has trouble putting together more than 2 sentences at a time. It's painful for you to read beacuse you probably have to sound out the words. When you get to the 4th grade and can read the big words you might see that what I say make a tremendious amount of sense but if you find my posts to long and it tires you to read them, then by all means PLEASE DON"T. Nothing you can say is of the slightest interst to me and I find your pathetic comments not so much annoying as just plain sad.

Edited by Capt.Video

That's a laugh. There is nothing constructive about you "criticism", your nothing more than a simple minded flamer who has trouble putting together more than 2 sentences at a time. It's painful for you to read beacuse you probably have to sound out the words. When you get to the 4th grade and can read the big words you might see that what I say make a tremendious amount of sense but if you find my posts to long and it tires you to read them, then by all means PLEASE DON"T. Nothing you can say is of the slightest interst to me and I find your pathetic comments not so much annoying as just plain sad.

That sounds awfully like a personal attack... rather pointless and it contributes absolutely NOTHING to the discussion at hand

Personally I feel that this forum is a place for informal discussions and exchanges of ideas... so its not so important that the Queens English is spoken... just so long as people can be easily understood ;)

• Premium Member
As Dominic also noted, your endless blocks of text are painful to read. Many other people are probably only scanning them or skipping them entirely as I do.

Good point as I have the same problem with these posts of his.

• Premium Member

First time I remember hearing it was in Aretha Franklin's "R.E.S.P.E.C.T.":

I'm about to give you all of my money

And all I'm askin' in return, honey

Is to give me my PROPerS

When you get home (just a, just a, just a, just a)

Yeah baby (just a, just a, just a, just a)

When you get home (just a little bit)

Yeah (just a little bit)

So using 1960's Detroit as your starting point and working backward, you can see it's been around for a while.

Most terms that are thought to be "fresh" (the term "fresh" by the way, is now out) now have origins that are much older than most people realise. "Bling", for instance, has been around for decades. If you grew up around Detroit (as I did) or L.A., have been around long enough, and pay even minimal attention to what goes on around you, you know these things come and go in waves.

Kinda like the baggy-pants-hanging-low look that was common with surfers in the early 60's.

• Premium Member

I'm going to jump back to etymology for a moment. I appreciated the William Safire reference, btw, whoever mention him.

I work with a lot of young people, fresh out of college, so I'm exposed to a lot of unique vocabulary. I'm even surprised when certain expressions leap out of my mouth (like I've been using them all my life!)

Slang from rapidly emerging technologies and mixed cultures are becoming common and exciting ways of communicating complex ideas quickly and aggressively.

A few terms that come to mind that we all probably have used:

"In the queue" as in, I haven't seen that movie yet but it's in the queue. I believe this comes from NetFlix.

"Play list" - Should be obvious, another reference to the iPod.

"Top 8" - A new one emerging from the MySpace phenomenon. A ranking system for your best friends.

"Thanks for the add" - Another MySpace reference. Appreciation of acknowledgment on someone's MySpace page.

"Holler back/Hit me back" - The first is a typical voice mail or text message the latter is a typical informal e-mail or text.

And then we use jargon from all over. Think "Over/Under" from sports betting. How often do we call everyone on set "brother"? I still speak about "cost/benefit ratios" from my banking days.

I'm sure we can think of a million great examples.

Dude! There's totally a grip I've worked with a few times who calls everyone "brother." When I call him "brother" back, he never actually hears it, but it gets a laugh from whoever else is around.

Anyway. . .

Riddle me this. . .

What's a "hollaback girl?"