Good and Bad Experiences at Bristish Film Schools

Phil,

i find it very funny, you sound like a strict father who tries so hard to encourage his son to get a 9 to 5 job in order to have a stable future...

man, id rather keep being broke and eating beans and toast for the next decade than sitting my arse in a Scottish bank for my entire life! TO ME, that would be worse than being a poor wannabe cinematographer!!!

if no one tried you wouldnt have all these amazing people who made it against the odds (i dont wanna sound too cheesy here).

you may call me a dreamer, but im not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...where I could concentrate exclusively on the practicle side and not having to balance it with an essay on Francois Truffaut or post-modernism.

It should ALWAYS be balanced with essays on Francois Truffaut and post-modernism! Heck I just watched "The Soft Skin" and was so pumped I tapped out a short essay, just for the heck of it.

aiming to work in the film industry is grossly irresponsible.

Phil, you have some strange ethics.

I in some ways agree with Freddie. It is always right to pursue what you feel so strongly about to some degree, I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to deny myself a secure, and hopefully high income (I've been giving property developing some serious thought, people are always going to need houses aren't they) but as long as I've paid off a fairly decent house in a fairly decent area I'll be quite happy to live on beans and toast. :)

And I'll just jhave to have a cat to go though it all with me as well. :D

Isn't it nice to have a completely adult discussion where I can prove to you all that I'm not retarded, I should do this more often, and keep my eccentricities for my films. :rolleyes:

Also... Morgan, do you guys at the NFTS ever need runners/camera trainees to help out?

All the time. Best to phone up the school, speak with Marie the cinematography co-ordinator, tell her you want to volunteer for camera dept. runner or trainee on school productions and ask if she can put you in touch with the first and second year cinematographers.

http://www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk/

Hi,

> I dont get why you care for putting severe downers on other peoples ambitions and dreams

Then you haven't been paying attention.

All I'm trying to do is to avoid people wasting an awful lot of time and money and ending up in the same position I'm in. I've never done anything other than be a film/TV freelancer, and I am therefore completely unemployable at any other job. This is not a good time to be a penniless starving artist in London. What you need is a lot of money very very fast, more than almost any other city in the world, and the film industry cannot provide it.

Phil

You know what, you're absolutely right, it's all about luck etc etc.

But your attitude shows me clearly that in life there are those who will eventually win because they keep trying and trying and then there are those who love losing...because then that gives them something to complain about. Nothing better than sharing negativity.

People like you make life for those around you even harder than it has to be because you relish being miserable.

Anyway, if you're doing so badly why are you writing articles in Freelance magazine, or whatever it's called. I don't see you talking there about your negative views on the film and tv industry?

But you know what. According to what you say I should be very glad that I have an honours degree in French and Business Management and Administration. I can do and have done other jobs including Marketing, Sales and IT. It was boring as hell.

Hi,

Oh, that's just fantastic. We're so destitute that trainees don't work on real shows, they work on student films!

Phil

Oh yeah. You're the guy who gave up looking for tv work after two weeks...gee, you really made an effort. I managed to find trainee work in tv which lasted for 8 months worth of paid work.

Some people win eventually becasue tehy keep trying. Other people like to lose because they love giving up and then complaining about it.

You're supposedly nowhere in your career because of your attitude.

But then hey, I don't actually think you are doing taht badly, I think you make it up because then you havbe something to whinge about.

In fact, why don't you do us all a favour. Quit. Retrain as a plumber or plasterer, who are earning on average £300 (US$578) a day at the moment and let the rest of us have a bit of peace and quiet for a change. Loads of people are doing that. Even lawyers. Very easy and profitable.

Three to six months training or whatever it is and then you can go complain and whinge about a completely different job, to completely different people. And for us...peace and quiet.

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you don't want to be ridiculed, don't say ridiculous things. Nobody's whining; I'm pointing out what's wrong with what you're saying. I didn't make you wrong; don't shoot the messenger.

And lose the "director of photography" credit, fer chrissake. You certainly aren't one now and almost certainly never will be. What's your middle name, Walter?

Phil

I used to be the ridiculous one. :(

Morgan, you've really put that all in perspective. Phil Phodes, you have no reason to complain, you're incredibly intelligent, I think that will help you win jobs on film shoots if you really try.

Now please stop trying to make the lives of all these people miserable, don't you think we all have our own problems???? Now get off your arse and start getting the jobs that you'll probably have no trouble in getting.

And to think I spent time feeling sorry for you. :angry:

• Premium Member

Why on earth do people keep telling me I'm intelligent?

Even if it were true, there is no direct IQ to income relationship.

Also, if I were particularly smart, I'd be well enough qualified to get a better job...

Phil

Why on earth do people keep telling me I'm intelligent?

Even if it were true, there is no direct IQ to income relationship.

Also, if I were particularly smart, I'd be well enough qualified to get a better job...

Phil

I would have thought it obvious that if people keep informing you of your intelligence then there is some truth to their statements.

The thing about you is that you seem perfectly capable of attaining a decent job. Yet you don't, probably because you seem to enjoy feeling sorry for yourself.

You have talked of your A Level grades being in the mid 90s, but you got caught up in the dream of filmaking. That was your downfall, not something derived from low intelligence.

And lose the "director of photography" credit, fer chrissake. You certainly aren't one now and almost certainly never will be. What's your middle name, Walter?

?

Well...all the films I've shot have me listed as that, and then if you do a search on the net then that's also what I'm listed as, as well as 'cinematographer'. So I suppose if I think I think I am and if that's the job I do and that's also the job I was trained for, at one of the best film schools in the world...well, I guess I must be...

Yes...I must a 'Director of Photography'...it's so easy when you have the confidence to call yourself that...

What's that saying? Oh yeah, 'I think, therefore I am'

...What do you do?

What's a 'camera/edit' anyway?

Morgan - Cheers for the advice... I'll get in contact with the NFTS directly as soon as my damn dissertation on 'British Urban Youth films' is handed in! It used to be pretty interesting, but 10,000 words later - whoa! Oh yeah, I also checked out your website - really lovely work!

In reply to a certain other comment... Ive got absolutely no problem learning from other students or working on student films... we're all students at the end of the day.

Adam :)

• Premium Member
Has anybody got any familiar experiences to make me feel better?

Hi Andy,

my school wasn't in Britain really. I got a BA of Digital Film Arts (Hons) here in Vienna in 2003. The first year was on SAE College here, the second was here too in association with Middlesex University/London. The second year was ok, the first was complete waste of time and over 10k euro. All we learned was what effects Avid Xpress has and what button does what. We never learned anything USEFUL about editing, FX or lighting and shooting. Same for the supposedly "good" equipment the school had. All it was was a Sony VX-2000 and a large number of pretty decent computers. The so-called "in-house bluebox" was a classroom, 4 by 5 meters with a ceiling of 2,3 meter that had one blue wall. All one big bunch of bs!

So I can feel with you. The good thing about it, though, was the contact with other students who were as upset as me. I still work with some of them.

Cheers, Dave

So I can feel with you. The good thing about it, though, was the contact with other students who were as upset as me. I still work with some of them.

Wow, to think I started this thread over a year ago, depressed at how much time and money was wasted, not to mention I was in a lot of pain at the time from breaking my collar bone. I'd also lost a job on a feature film because I was laid up for 6 weeks.

Over a year latter, the thread is still going (must be a record). I still think my MA was a complete waste of time, the behavior of the teachers was criminal in many respects - but, I met some really cool friends, we often meet and have a really cool time together - ocationaly shoot a project together, and we work together really well. I imagine we will do a lot more in the future.

I think this ongoing argument here is extremly valid on both sides, Phil invests a lot of time and effort into this industry and as of yet has not been financially rewarded, Morgan is very privelaged to have his NFTS experiences, particularly being taught by Brian Tufano (I'm very jelous) but i'm sure it will be his talent and determination which gets him to where he wants to go.

In the British Industry fustration is as valid as optimism, knowledge is as important as determination - its an imperfect, flawed and ridiculous industry, but at the moment its the best we have.

Though admitedly, i'm currently out of work (filmwise that is), I'm not that sore about it. Even my collar bone has completly healed, after two operations - and now i have a really cool scar! (Yes, the ladies love it...)

Am I still furious at those teachers for wasting my time and money, dam yes! - Please imagine me on the top of a mountain shouting at the top of my voice: "Charlatans! Fools! Time-wasters! Bafoons! Fauds....."

I could go on all day.

Hi ,

so the NFTS goes for 5000 £ . The Ma dures a year or two ?I also need your opinion on this school

thank you :D

Hi,

I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Just email me any questions or phone me if you are nearby...in Europe?

morgan_peline@mac.com

+447808336955

Regards

• 2 months later...
And lose the "director of photography" credit, fer chrissake. You certainly aren't one now and almost certainly never will be.

Maybe not but I'm sure working on it!

I just thought I'd tell everyone that I've just today been invited to attend the 2007 Budapest DoP Masterclass for two weeks in September, all expenses paid. The mentors this year will be Vilmos Zsigmond ASC and Elemér Ragályi HSC. There were 88 applicants for 15 places. Applicants came from film schools all over the world.

An NFTS education couldn't have been that bad...

Maybe not but I'm sure working on it!

I just thought I'd tell everyone that I've just today been invited to attend the 2007 Budapest DoP Masterclass for two weeks in September, all expenses paid. The mentors this year will be Vilmos Zsigmond ASC and Elemér Ragályi HSC. There were 88 applicants for 15 places. Applicants came from film schools all over the world.

An NFTS education couldn't have been that bad...

Morgan, will you please just let this thread die a natural death.

Congratulations for getting your place, but a privilege to get on a course as exclusive as that should not be rubbed in peoples faces, even someone as sardonic as Phil.