HD100U Setting

richie

I have just taken delivery of my GY-HD100U. So far I am very impressed. But I was wondering if anybody out there has any special looks they have created using the camera's adjustments. If you have I would love to hear about them and if I manage to create some looks I feel are worthy of other people experiencing I will post them also.

Thanks, Richie

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have one for a review I'm writing and I notice that the "cine gamma" thing does exactly what most of them do - crush the blacks, or at least throw the shadow detail down so dark it gets eaten by the compression codec. I suspect you'd be much better off just looking for the settings that give the absolute widest possible dynamic range and work from there.

Phil

I have just taken delivery of my GY-HD100U. So far I am very impressed. But I was wondering if anybody out there has any special looks they have created using the camera's adjustments. If you have I would love to hear about them and if I manage to create some looks I feel are worthy of other people experiencing I will post them also.

Thanks, Richie

Howdy....Im a happy canon owner...but trying to raly find out which camera is better in what......my question....is the JVC ccd chip a true 16/9 chip or it is a 4:3 chip that only uses parts for it to do 16/9?

thanx

stepan

• Premium Member
Howdy....Im a happy canon owner...but trying to raly find out which camera is better in what......my question....is the JVC ccd chip a true 16/9 chip or it is a 4:3 chip that only uses parts for it to do 16/9?

thanx

stepan

All HD cameras, even the consumer ones, have 16x9 CCD's.

I've found these settings useful for contrasty scenes:

Cinelike HD24 (going against the crowd here, it seems)

Black stretch 3 (gets back a bit of the shadows)

Knee 80% (very early, but it works for me)

Then I'm rather aggressive on the highlights...try it yourself, they retain color and roll off better then you might expect. You'll probably want to stretch the contrast back out a touch in post.

For really low light, add 6dB gain, turn the shutter off, and avoid fast motion and hand-held. There will be noise and motion smearing, but maybe you can live with it.

Steve Milligan