Arri IIB newbie questions...

rradfilms

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading this. I am new to this forum and so far have found it very informative. If I can contribute to forum questions in any way, I definitely will. Last week I have acquired a mint Arri IIB camera. So far I have only shot 16mm - on 3 cameras - Arri S, Cp-16, and a Bolex. I just recently turned 21 and am trying to shoot and learn as much as possible. I am really looking forward to shooting 35. Here are my questions:

1) The Arri IIB I have has a variable speed motor. The motor has two "male" prongs for power. I believe it requires the power of a 16v battery. Does any one know of where I possibly might be able to find a battery and the cable to fit the motor? OR possibly does anyone have one for sale? I have even checked Ebay, but have had no luck so far...

2) Is there any way to change the ground glass on the Arri IIB door? If not, is it possible to change the glass on an Arri IIC door? I am looking for a IIC door regardless, since I have read that it will fit on a IIB body and I like the fact that the eye piece is not completely fixed. Does anyone know of where I might be able to find a IIC door or does anyone have one for sale? Again I have checked ebay, but unfortunately have not been able to find one.

3) Will an Arri IIB fit in a blimp as far as the motor is concerned or is there a conversion that needs to be made. I saw that I just missed an Arri II blimp on Ebay. I have read that Arri made two different blimps for the Arri II and cine-60 made one as well. Does anyone have any information as far as where I might be able to find a blimp, and or also have one for sale?

Thanks much everyone for your time.

Ryan

Almost forgot... feel free to email me at - rradfilms@yahoo.com .

Thanks again for reading this everyone. I feel like I have so much more to learn and really think this forum is awesome. Everyone here is so knowledgeable... I really do feel like a newbie.... Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers -

Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ryan!

The groundglass of the IIC can be exchanged. It might not be that hard to find groundglasses that fit the IIC at a rental place as those are often used in the ARRI director's viewfinders.

But when i remember it right (it's been some time since i worked with a IIC) the groundglass is not in the door...

Edited by Daniel Stigler

3) Will an Arri IIB fit in a blimp as far as the motor is concerned or is there a conversion that needs to be made. I saw that I just missed an Arri II blimp on Ebay. I have read that Arri made two different blimps for the Arri II and cine-60 made one as well. Does anyone have any information as far as where I might be able to find a blimp, and or also have one for sale?

---Actually Arri made three blimps for the 35II*.

The first is the 400, which has a round front port. The shortest lens that will clear the port is a 28mm.

That was replaced by the 120(meters) which has the large rectangular front port which will take an 18mm lens.

& the 300 which has the same front port aas the 120 and will take 1000' mags with an adaptor.

Motors for all blimps need to be flat based.

---LV

Welcome to the arri 35mm world!!

The groud glass for the 2C is in the camera and not the door - I assume it is the same for the 2B

I have the variable speed crystal motor from the 3C - so I don't have an idea on the motor for a 2B

thanks

Rolfe