K3 and M42 Vivitar lens

k3shooter

Hello,

Just got the results back on EI 100 ASA Plus X reversal.. shot with the standard K3 Zoom and a M42 Vivitar 28mm lens. Bright sunny day shooting at F22 on both lenses. K3 Meteor lens sequences looked great, proper exposure maybe a tad over, approx. 1/2 -1 stop (which matched my sekonic reading). But while viewing Vivitar sequences, shots were more noticibly overexposed 1-2 stops. Same shots, same light. Any ideas why the greater overexposure on the Vivitar compared to the Meteor at the same F stop? There is a auto and manual toggle switch on the Vivitar lens which was in Man all the time. Thanks in advance.

Greg

• Premium Member
Hello,

Just got the results back on EI 100 ASA Plus X reversal.. shot with the standard K3 Zoom and a M42 Vivitar 28mm lens. Bright sunny day shooting at F22 on both lenses. K3 Meteor lens sequences looked great, proper exposure maybe a tad over, approx. 1/2 -1 stop (which matched my sekonic reading). But while viewing Vivitar sequences, shots were more noticibly overexposed 1-2 stops. Same shots, same light. Any ideas why the greater overexposure on the Vivitar compared to the Meteor at the same F stop? There is a auto and manual toggle switch on the Vivitar lens which was in Man all the time. Thanks in advance.

Greg

1) Did the Vivitar close down all the way? Try puting the lens on auto, set at f-22 and then push the stop-down pin in both quickly and slowly a few times. If slowly leaves the opening a bit larger than quickly, the diaphram may need to cleaned. Unfortunatly this often only effects the smallest (Physical) openings - 16, 22 32...

The Vivitar would also probaly pass more light than that big Metor ZOOM, I wonder if that lens is really marked in f or t stops. If they did not compensate, you may have a meter that is off, and the zoom compensated, then the vivitar was "right" and so did'ent.

Your lab is using the "new" B&W reversal process, if they have not switched, you would get ASA 50.

Charles,

Thank you for your reply. You brought up some good suggestions/pointers that I had not considered. The lens does test fine per your instruction so I'm beginning to think it is seeing correctly to the light meter reading and perhaps passing slightly more light than the meteor. I'm going to shoot another roll and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Greg