My Director's Reel

David Sweetman

For any who are interested, you can now see my reel at:

http://www.myspace.com/davesweetman

Actually that reel is fairly dated now, but i don't want to cut a new one yet because I've got a bunch of productions in the works that i'll want to put in when they're done

Feel free to critique the cinematography...but i know it's crap! haha, yeah anyway I think it shows the directoral side fairly well...i dunno tell me what you think

• Premium Member

Mr. Sweetman,

I enjoyed your reel very much. EXPLOSION ENTERTAINMENT-Okay. I see you have

mastered the use of the Close-Up. I liked the close-up of the shoe stepping on the

twig. Of course I thought your use of close-ups was outstanding. Would you care to

comment on how you shot the scene with the male actor running in front of the car?

I just relaxed as I started the clip to see if it would grab me and it did. I had a steady

increase of adrenaline right through to the climax. Were you the operator? Your use of

of close-ups here told the story,made for a strong story.

Greg Gross

Hey Greg, thanks for the reply

Yes, I also operated on all the shots that I was not in -- such as the blood sqibs, mine detonation, wolverine claws, and "bullet fly-by," which were just some tests I did, not for a real production, but they look cool so I threw em in

Well the car-chase scene was from the short "The Hit," which was made late one night just for fun, so there was no pre-production or even script-writing, we just went out with a camera and started making a movie. It ended up just being a long fight scene, which was fun to do. So basically for the car chase, the car drove and the actor ran. We just used available light and I covered it from three or four different spots.

And yeah, I usually have to force myself to back up for the long shot, I dunno I guess I just have a natural tendency to stay in close

P.S. your comment about "Explosion Entertainment" -- I've recently become less fond of that name, I think it "tries too hard," or is too blatant; do you agree, and should I change it? I named it a while back when I was a freshman in high school ... although I've found those who have been involved with EE are averse to my changing it

• Premium Member

David,

Do you realize you have the right stuff? You have the makings of a good filmmaker son!

Keep up the good work! You could call it "Dream Entertainment". Remember and pay no

attention to anyone who says no, that you must watch good films to learn filmmaking. I

think you should look for a script(good story) something similar to "The Usual Suspects",

not like it but along the same kind of story line, and shoot it. Tell the story with a lot of

close-ups like you did with your thesis film.

Greg Gross

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! You are very talented! Your instincts are right on. Continue to follow them. I like the name of your film company. But the question is not... if everyone likes it. What do you feel? It's good to be open to other's opinions. But ultimately as an artist, which you certainly are, you have to listen to and trust your own instincts, feelings...etc. . You display that important quality in your reel.

Lionel Pina

Edited by lionel pina

thanks for your vote of confidence, now if only I can make the mass populace think the same thing...

I've decided to keep the name for the time being, partly because I can't think of a better one and partly because I just started a project with a few buddies from high school.

Oh and I've decided to go ahead and make a new cut, because I just fired up my old tower and saw just how much new stuff is missing from that reel. I'll probably update it within a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi

i think for first your reel is cut like a DP reel not director reel

i want to see one full scene with dialog and a blocking and drama

i think the fight scenes look fake and i can see they not hitting each other

that include the blood and the gun shooting

show me you can tell stories and work with actors

i can see the potential but i think the editing of the reel doesnt shoe it

hope i am not to harsh but that's my honest view

I agree, the trouble is I haven't worked with "actors" yet. All those you see are just buddies of mine who are acting for me. This summer I've shot another short and I've got one more short lined up, both of which I expect to be satisfied enough with the quality of the acting to put some scenes into my reel. Thanks for the feedback, I know that's what people do want to see in a director's reel...and I'm working on it

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't want to be a D#@k, but you should edit your reel down, Way down. And use a different piece of music for the clips, That bluegrass bit pushes me out of the clips I don't care if your "Friend" wrote it or played guitar, this is YOUR reel son. The "rap" is what it is, not much you can do about that except show less of it. The reel's mostly fight stuff, is that what you want to major in? If so take out the bits that are weakest, be brave and Cut to the bone!

and if your going to end on the "Bang" gunshot, really End on it. Watch the last Ten seconds of "The French Connection" by William Freedkin

Hi, I don't want to be a D#@k, but you should edit your reel down, Way down. And use a different piece of music for the clips, That bluegrass bit pushes me out of the clips I don't care if your "Friend" wrote it or played guitar, this is YOUR reel son. The "rap" is what it is, not much you can do about that except show less of it. The reel's mostly fight stuff, is that what you want to major in? If so take out the bits that are weakest, be brave and Cut to the bone!

and if your going to end on the "Bang" gunshot, really End on it. Watch the last Ten seconds of "The French Connection" by William Freedkin

Hey, thanks for the feedback. As for the music, I think it fits, if it didn't I could make something that did, but I like it how it is. I wouldn't call it "bluegrass," it's got a more newgrass kind of feel to it, if that; I think the mandolin may give that impression, but mandolins are freakin' awesome. Anyway it was made for a western, if that explains it. I do think I'll make a new song for the next cut, I want something jazzier or at least with jazz influence, almost like The Clash, but less rockish.

I don't want to "major" in fight stuff, but my stories inevitably include them. I'll cut more of the rap out when I finish cutting my latest music video, and I'm not a huge fan of The French Connection. Uh... think that covers all of it, thanks!

• 1 month later...

for what it matters..

A narrative reel should incorporate portions of dialogue and actual sequences of the film. What you have now is a DP reel. If you're trying to get music video work, have a seperate music video reel as well. Watch people's reels and see how they are cutting it. For a good example of directors with narrative and music video+commercial careers, see RSA. www.rsafilms.com

Watch their reels and market yourself the same. Also, get yourself your own website. It's all about branding yourself. Find out who is doing the best work in the area you want to work in, and be better than them.

Jeremy

Thanks, that RSA Films is a great site. I've always wondered what directors like Ridley Scott had on their reel, or if they even needed one! I'm currently in the process of completely re-cutting my reel with these things in mind, and should have it done soon. Meanwhile I'm very happy with the performances featured in the short I've put on another thread, http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...0&st=0&

I wish we'd had more time to shoot because they really got into the zone for the last half of the movie.