JVC GY 100H + mini35 HANDHELD

Guest tobzila

Guest tobzila

Hi,

I am going to shoot a feature documentary next month in the middle east. My plan are shooting with the JVC GY 100H mounted with the mini35 + 2 zoom PL mount. My concern is more about the ergonomy and the leigthness of my kit than the pure quality of the signal ( some are telling me I sould go with the Xdcam as it can run at 50mgb). The fact is I wont have any camera assistant with me so with the Xdcam option, I?ll be forced to leave without any pro35 and 35mm zoomlens( it is going to be far to heavy and I need to be very light).

Now my question is the following. Is there anyone having HANDHELD shooting experience with this package? Did you use a micro force rig? If not how did you work with this package (without the handel of the basic INGzoom made by fujinon). And if you think my choice of package is not realistic for this kind of projet, please tell me why, I still have few days to turn around and find something better. Thank you

Tobie

I think it is a poor choice for handheld, especially without an assistant to help pull focus. The JVC is already fairly frontheavy, and with the adapter and a cine zoom it will be a huge hunk of glass with a little camera hanging off the back. You wouldn't be able to operate effectively at all, and it would be near impossible to pull focus accurately. This is really a rig for tripod use, and even then with an assistant with you at all times.

I would go with the XDCAM suggestion, and why do you feel you need a 35 lens adapter anyway? This is a handheld doc--why make it so tough to keep the image in focus all the time?