Kino bulbs in fluorescent fixtures

What are people's thoughts and experiences putting kino bulbs in normal fluorescent fixtures, especially if mixing it with other lights.

Because the kino ballast overcranks the bulb and a normal fixtures doesn't I'm afraid to trust the color. It looks off to the eye (which of course isn't particularly trustworthy).

Also, what kind of drop in output have you found? Down about 30% I'd guess.

Thanks,

Chuck DeRosa

Los Angeles

• Premium Member
What are people's thoughts and experiences putting kino bulbs in normal fluorescent fixtures, especially if mixing it with other lights.

Because the kino ballast overcranks the bulb and a normal fixtures doesn't I'm afraid to trust the color. It looks off to the eye (which of course isn't particularly trustworthy).

Also, what kind of drop in output have you found? Down about 30% I'd guess.

Thanks,

Chuck DeRosa

Los Angeles

This calls for a test. May I suggest two Macbeth Color Checkers in a 45-degree "V" arrangement, with one side of the V lit by the Kinoflo unit, and the other by the regular fluorescent? So you get a side-by-side comparison of color rendition and tone scale.

This calls for a test. May I suggest two Macbeth Color Checkers in a 45-degree "V" arrangement, with one side of the V lit by the Kinoflo unit, and the other by the regular fluorescent? So you get a side-by-side comparison of color rendition and tone scale.

John, that's an excellent idea. I'll be purchasing a kino bulb tomorrow. I love the side by side aspect of it too.

Chuck

• Premium Member

I put Kino bulbs all the time in ordinary fixtures on location. I haven't noticed a visible shift in color. Anyway, when talking about color accuracy, compared to what other tube you could put into the fixture? A Kino 55 tube in an overhead fixture is still going to have a higher CRI value than a Chroma 50, Vitalite, or worse yet, a Cool White.