Work Examples

Guest LondonFilmMan

Dmuench:

"Deadly Sushi"

I'd say 'stop trying so hard and just tell the story'. I liked some of your work but I doubt that anyone out there *really* cares about neat camera angles and tricks, more that they are wholly appropriate.

Look at the older movies where dialogue is everything, which brings me on to your (sorry to say, out-of-sync) lacking dialogue....mmm.... :(

Forget all that music...doesn't it cheapen it?

A question: How do you think that less cuts and more meaning to each shot might have affected your result?

Also, do we always need a close-up unless it's important? Otherwise aren't you saying 'here is a close-up of me drinking a beer' which is important. Fine Dmuench...*until* you want to show us something *really* important, where you really feel we need to see a close-up. You might have to edit out the close-up of 'lesser importance' otherwise you may run the risk of 'saying' that *both* shots are of equal importance because I am showing them to you close-up *because* you need to see them.

Then surely where everything is of 'equal importance', nothing is important because you have taken everything to the same level? So you kinda cancel the importance out.

What do you think?

All best!

come to think if it i guess youre right about the cloesups. again, sound and editing wasnt my fault though. sushi was my first 16mm production and a collaboration with 8 other people. if i had to shoot it again i would do a lot of things differently.

Guest LondonFilmMan

Weakness

Was the song a 'demonstration of anger' at society's widespread apathy? :unsure:

I thought that visually it was fine although it made little sense to me and found the intellectual part of my brain trying to understand the meaning and concept.

It didn't work for me but I guess that's rock.

I kinda liked the song though. It made me angry too!