1:2.0 Super 35 groundglass

Tammo van Hoorn

Hi

I'm prepping a job this week where i've been asked by the DP to prepare an unusual aspect ratio. We're shooting super 35 and he wants a 1:2.0 groundglass. The suggestion would be to get a 1:1.85 super 35 groundglass and 'pencil' in the 1:2.0 aspect. Any suggestions as how I could work out the measurements for the pencilled in aspect ratio in relation to the 1:1.85 groundglass?

Many thanks

Tammo van Hoorn

• Premium Member
Hi

I'm prepping a job this week where i've been asked by the DP to prepare an unusual aspect ratio. We're shooting super 35 and he wants a 1:2.0 groundglass. The suggestion would be to get a 1:1.85 super 35 groundglass and 'pencil' in the 1:2.0 aspect. Any suggestions as how I could work out the measurements for the pencilled in aspect ratio in relation to the 1:1.85 groundglass?

Many thanks

Tammo van Hoorn

Hi,

24mmx12mm will be S35 1:2.0

24mmx12.97mm is S35 1:1.185

So Basically a line 0.5mm inside the 1:185 on top and bottom.

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Fantastic! Thankyou very much. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find these measurements? Is it an aspect ratio you have used before or just a simple relative mathematical relationship you've worked out.

Many thanks again

Tammo van Hoorn

PS Edit: Sorry I wasn't thinking. Logical:

24mm divide by 1.85= 12.97

24mm divide by 2.0= 12

Edited by Tammo

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen

Fantastic! Thankyou very much. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find these measurements? Is it an aspect ratio you have used before or just a simple relative mathematical relationship you've worked out.

Many thanks again

Tammo van Hoorn

PS Edit: Sorry I wasn't thinking. Logical:

24mm divide by 1.85= 12.97

24mm divide by 2.0= 12

Tammo,

There's a great page containing links to calculators and image sizes on Panavision New Zealand's website at:

http://www.panavision.co.nz/Main/kbase.asp?cat=13

Edmond, OK

When i have to add lines to a groundglass i add the new lines to the used groundglass in Photoshop and print this in it's original size. Then i put the groundglass on the paper with the markings on the groundglass exactly matching the lines on the print. I then stick scotchtape on the groundglass to add the new markings. This is very hard to do if you're alone so it's a good idea to have some help available. Another good idea is to shoot a frameleader after the modified groundglass is installed.

All the best for the shooting!

Great! Thankyou Daniel. I've made up the groundglass now using a similar technique to yours. Having projected both the 1.85 and 2.0 g.glasses its actually come out pretty well!

Many thanks again for your helpful advice.

Tammo