Rank, Spirit & Shadow Super-8 Gates

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Here a couple of tips I can offer about Transfering Super-8 film BEFORE you visit a high-end video transfer place that charges a few hundred dollars an hour.

Use Professional Rewinds when you are spooling your Super-8 film onto one film reel. If you use the crank handles on a Super-8 movie viewer you will not create enough film tension as you prep your film for telecine. Your film will be wind "loose" and when the Super-8 Movie Reel is then loaded onto a high tension transfer system such as a Rank Cintel or a Spirit or Shadow, the film self-tighten, or CINCH, which can mean instant abrasion and scratch marks throughout THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE FILM!

The Proper Movie Reel is just as important as film tension when prepping your film for high end telecine. I strongly recommend using METAL REELS WITH LARGE HUBS. If you cannot find such a metal Super-8 reel you can try using a plastic movie reel, but your choices are limited. The only Plastic Reel that I recommend is the Bonum movie reel. They are no longer made but they are a good quality reel.

Don't forget to bring your own super-8 splicer and splicing material to the transfer session just in case your film comes apart at a splice point or you need to fix a broken frame of film.

Interesting, I ahve been thinking about this. I have to get 6 rolls of neg. super8 transferred soon. The problem I have is that the film was returned to me from the lab on separate 50ft feels and not prepped for telecine.

Shall I send it back to them and get them to do it (bit of a pain) or can I do it my self? I know that neg is notoriously easy to scratch and get dirty though.

Any suggestions?

Matt

• Premium Member

I think your instincts are right, it's possible that someone else won't handle the film as caringly as you would. However it's also possible the facility that preps your film has a pretty clean environment and they do it fast, which would hopefully minimize the dust factor. But be careful if they use plastic reels. Sometimes tiny plastic burrs end up on the inside of the reel flanges and the film can "bump" against the burr during transfer and the result is a "bump" in your footage everytime the film goes past the burr.

I will be getting a pair of rewinds mounted to a sturdy but portable board so that I can do my own prepping.

I know that in NYC, both Cineric and Technicolor Creative Services handle Super-8 (but not processing). Technicolor has a S-8 gate for its Spirit. I'm sure that one or both has proper rewinds and clean room environments for the proper professional handling of your negative so they could spool it up for you. Don't forget that you'll likely have to add considerable leader to the head and tail of every flat to allow threading and tensioning through the machine.

I would be very careful about handling 8mm film on a core alone, without flanges or a reel. The narrow film could easily dish or cone.

I agree,John.We could wind 16mm origninal neg on a core without a split reel on a tight wind,and when it went on the printers or cleaner there was a guard rail over the plate to prevent it from dishing or coning.Is that not done anymore?It's been since 1980 I worked in a lab.

Marty

• Premium Member
Don't forget that you'll likely have to add considerable leader to the head and tail of every flat to allow threading and tensioning through the machine.

Great point about the film leader, 20 feet is not a bad idea, I think the minimum is 15 feet.

Here is a link to a list of the Super-8 HD Transfer facilities around the world, there are 15 at this moment in time. Super-8 Gates for HD transfers