How to Attach a Bolex Matte Box?

Shawn Gallagher

Hi Everyone,

Here's a really dumb question for you, I have a flat base Bolex, a matte box mount and a matte box, but I can't figure out how to get the metal framed black vinyl piece off of the front of the flat base. (I assume that under this metal piece are the two screw holes for the matte box mount, but for the life of me I can't get the black vinyl piece off!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member
Hi Everyone,

Here's a really dumb question for you, I have a flat base Bolex, a matte box mount and a matte box, but I can't figure out how to get the metal framed black vinyl piece off of the front of the flat base. (I assume that under this metal piece are the two screw holes for the matte box mount, but for the life of me I can't get the black vinyl piece off!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If memory serves, and I could definitely be wrong on this, but I recall the leatherette vinyl pealing back to expose the screws underneath, then taking the screws out which frees you up to install your matte box rods. That is my recollection, but again, I may be mistaken on that.

-Tim

Yes, that is the way to do it. The leatherette is strong enough that it shouldn't tear and you can glue it back later if necessary.

Also, you need to remove the metalic piece held by those two screws : it's just for decoration. And the matte-box mount should have its own longer screws (black).

-B