Color Correcting or One Light Transfer?

Goodwill

Hey guys,

Just another question for a newbie filmmaker. I was wondering when transfering to digital from 16mm film, is there a very big difference between the process of transfering it through one light or doing a timed print transfer to minidv? How much will the picture be improved? Is it noticable? Does anyone have any clips for example of the different between a one light transfer and a timed transfer? Is it worth double the price?

• Premium Member

It's like night and day. Always color correct when you can, or you will get disappointed. It is more expensive to do so, but in my opinion it's madness not to.

Sure, you can color correct yourself from tape, but frankly, that'll look sh** most of the time, unless you're very good at it. And you get excessive noise and are stuck with the rubbish latitude of what's on the tape.

• Premium Member
Hey guys,

Just another question for a newbie filmmaker. I was wondering when transfering to digital from 16mm film, is there a very big difference between the process of transfering it through one light or doing a timed print transfer to minidv? How much will the picture be improved? Is it noticable? Does anyone have any clips for example of the different between a one light transfer and a timed transfer? Is it worth double the price?

What is your final release media going to be?

You can do the rushes in one light and colour correct again from the negative, after your final cut.

Dimitris Koukas

I also don't understand why the timed print onto film is cheaper than the timed print onto MiniDV. Does film even look good when transfered to MiniDV? Is the image superior to the image of say a 3-CCD digital video camera?

Goodwill