The Panasonic 24P

Korhan20

• Premium Member

Hi,

You can do 3:2 pulldown manipulation and removal with various plugins for Virtualdub (google for it; you should have it anyway, as it is superb.) It isn't something I've looked closely into since I'm in a PAL situation here and anyway the likelihood of my ever having any film to run through my machine is tiny, but the toolset is there.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you very much for that information.  Also, does anyone know what the differences are between the AG-DVX100AP and the AG-DVX100P?

The primary difference between these two cameras is that the DVX100 is a 10 bit DSP camera and the DVX100A is a 12 Bit DSP camera. This translates to the additional Cine Gamma settings that are available in the DVX100A, more control over the image. There is also now the auto assit focus and Color Bars in the progressive modes as well as gain.

Overall there were 22 improvements that Panasonic engineering worked into the DVX100A. Doesn't make the DVX100 a wrong choice as the DVX100 is stll very much a wonderful little camera, it just makes the DVX100A a little better in some ways.

Hope that helps,

Jan

Panasonic Broadcast

DVCPRO50, AG-DVX100A Product Manager

• Premium Member

Hi Jan

I was one of the billions of people you spoke to at NAB; I brought up the somewhat dismal handling of a request for filmout information (and possibly a demo) on the Varicam from Panasonic London. The claimed they didn't have anything to show me, and directed me instead to go and see a rather unusually-shot film which in the event was digitally projected and while it looked interesting, wasn't really that useful an indication of the capabilities of the camera in conventional dramatic production. Panasonic London tell me (repeatedly) that they're really video people - do you happen to know if this situation has changed in the last few months?

The original production I was looking at this for has now fallen apart, but it seemed a bit odd that they were unable to provideo a film demo for a camera that's being specifically marketed for this purpose.

Phil

Hi,

Since I am not from the UK, I cannot say what London Panasonic is into even today. I will contact you via a private message about who in LA to toalk to about Film Out, but off hand here there are a number of facilities that do filmouts from these cameras all the time. Techincolor for one on both coasts, in NYC, add DuArt, In LA look at Sunset Digital Post, EFilms, and Laser Pacific. Short list as it is a long day and i have to think about this.

hope this helps,

Jan