Getting that over-exposed look

nitejrny282

The look I'm trying to get is similar to that over-exposed, washed out look David Fincher gave Madonna in her "Respect Yourself" video. (Anybody remember that one?) The lighting was intense, practically washing out any distinct features on her face. As if the f-stop was left wide open with a heavy diffusion filter laid over it. Another example would be several amazingly overexposed shots by Robert Richardson in JFK. (Although those shots were B&W and I want to achieve this in color.)

Can anyone suggest how I could produce this look on 16mm film? (Using a reflex Bolex w/3 prime lenses.)

What kind of film stock should I use?

What kind of lighting?

(The shot will be an extreme CU of a face, so I shouldn't need more than one light, right?)

What kind of light reading should I go for?

And how many f-stops over the reading to get a substantial overexposure?

What kind of diffusion filter?

Any suggestions would be most welcome...

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

For the overexposition itself, the best to do is your own trials, as nobody can tell what will please you better than yourself. You don't need any special film stock, use your prefored ones.

An easy way to get blur and soft contrast, is to simply put a light in front of the camera, out of frame, causing flare. But if the CU is to big, you don't have much of room to light the lens...

You can also "flash" the film, by a firt pass shooting a white wall, you should make trials before, once again...