Up rez to HD for 8ft. screen projection?

CraigTarry

Hello, I'm about to shoot a 10min. short film on the DVX100A using wirdsreen format (can't afford an anamorphic adapter). The short isn't going to film, but I would like to have a party at a local bar that has an 8ft. pulldown screen (they show football games on it).

I'm giving everyone DVD's of the work to shown on a TV screen. Should I up rez it to HD for this 8ft screen?

If so can you direct me to a source for UP-REz? Thanks Craig

8 feet isn't really all that big, especially when you compare it to a theatre screen. Given that the projector is decent, it should look OK. Up-rezing to HD and then encoding back to an NTSC DVD *might* help, but it won't make much of a difference to the eye.

I've had material that I shot on an XL1 projected on a 20 ft screen from a DVD, and it looked acceptable. Sure it was a bit blocky, but at seating distance it looked fine. You'll have a smaller screen and footage originated on a higher-rez chip than the XL, so don't worry.

• Premium Member
Hello, I'm about to shoot a 10min. short film on the DVX100A using wirdsreen format (can't afford an anamorphic adapter). The short isn't going to film, but I would like to have a party at a local bar that has an 8ft. pulldown screen (they show football games on it).

I'm giving everyone DVD's of the work to shown on a TV screen. Should I up rez it to HD for this 8ft screen?

If so can you direct me to a source for UP-REz? Thanks Craig

You'd be way ahead to take the money you would have wasted on an up-res, and buy everyone in the bar a drink, instead. There's nothing like an appreciative audience.

Hello!

I completely agree too...drunk audience is far more appreciative...[from my own personal experience :rolleyes: )

..any ways..I'm looking for some handy tips regarding shooting on Dvx...telecast format:DVD on a 10ft screen..ideally i wd like to shoot 25fps...though i have shot on PD170[ i want to figure my way out a lil quickly with your help :D]..i find this to be a better camera...

Really appreciate ur Help.. :)

8 feet isn't really all that big, especially when you compare it to a theatre screen. Given that the projector is decent, it should look OK. Up-rezing to HD and then encoding back to an NTSC DVD *might* help, but it won't make much of a difference to the eye.

I've had material that I shot on an XL1 projected on a 20 ft screen from a DVD, and it looked acceptable. Sure it was a bit blocky, but at seating distance it looked fine. You'll have a smaller screen and footage originated on a higher-rez chip than the XL, so don't worry.

Great, thanks! I've been wondering "how big is too big" of a screen for showing it like that. So, thanks a lot! Craig

You'd be way ahead to take the money you would have wasted on an up-res, and buy everyone in the bar a drink, instead. There's nothing like an appreciative audience.

Thanks, good point - Craig

I just saw a docuementary I shot on both an XL1 and DVX100 projected from a DVD thru an HD projector to a 25ft screen. Couldn't believe the resolution difference. Well, actually I could, but the differences were extremely pronounced when the cameras are intercut. The DVX, of course, is waaay sharper with a much more flattering image. So again, don't sweat an 8ft screen. It'll look great.