sample clips from my short

Matt Sandstrom

here's a quote from a post i made in the lighting forum. i thought you guys might be interested. shot in cineframe mode on the fx1e.

thanks for your help. here are a couple of clips as promised. one was shot at dusk using the camera light handheld as a side key, you can see where it is if you watch the guy passing by since he looks up at it. :-) one is daylight cross lit with a shiny lastolite reflector. the third is a closeup where the convertible lastolite was used as a butterfly diffusor and the camera light as fill.

http://www.mattias.nu/stuff/iloveyou1.mov

http://www.mattias.nu/stuff/iloveyou2.mov

http://www.mattias.nu/stuff/iloveyou3.mov

the short premieres at the buff film festival in malmö, sweden next thursday the 16th. it will be shown on digibeta in an "e-cinema" equipped theater, whatever that means. sounds better than the usual home movie projector in a nightclub or conference room festival setup at least. :-)

/matt

Guest peter orland

Looks good.

Are the clips straight off camera or after edit?

Any other tech info on the clips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

thanks. i imported the clips to the apple intermediate codec, downconverted to dv for editing, color corrected the dv material, relinked the timeline to the intermediate, luckily the intermediate codec and the dv codec share the same color space and gamma so the pictures stayed the same, changed the timeline to uncompressed to force high precision effects rendering, exported to apple 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 at sd res for digibeta output, using compressor with advanced frame controls for maximum sharpness and 10 bit scaling. these clips were encoded as mpeg-4 using 3ivx from that 10 bit sd master. i also created a dv master from this, and it's strikingly better than the color corrected dv version even though it only differs one generation of compression. the conclusion is to add all effects at the highest resolution possible and then downconvert. i could have edited in 10 bit sd uncompressed for the same quality without the intermediate step i guess but i don't have the system for that. this is probably the best you can do from just a g4, firewire dv out and a calbrated sd monitor.

btw color correction in the stairs shot is very mild. it looked almost exactly like that straight from the camera which was a very pleasant surprise. i had white balanced carefully to achieve this look though. it's an overcast day and before that it just became blueish and dull. the other shots have been tweaked a bit more.

/matt

Edited by mattias

btw color correction in the stairs shot is very mild. it looked almost exactly like that straight from the camera which was a very pleasant surprise. i had white balanced carefully to achieve this look though. it's an overcast day and before that it just became blueish and dull. the other shots have been tweaked a bit more.

/matt

Wow thats amazing - I guess nature is the best tool for making shots beautiful. When you white balanced did you actually do it to white or off-white to highten the look.

looks amazing, great work.

recently i was a DP in a short film shot with a FX1 E.

I never work before with this cam and I was surprising for it low ISO rate. I made some test and give me a 160 ISO.

My question is, in the night scene did you shoot with gain? or shot at 0 dB? I´m intrigued ;)

thanks. i shot it without gain but it was shot at dusk, the sun was set but the sky still blue, which helped reduce the contrast. and i lit the main character with a handheld camera light. as you can see the faces on the other people are really dark except when they walk past that light.

/matt

• 6 months later...