Sony Z1U or XL2

Adam j Kennedy

• Premium Member
I am in the market for a new camera, either the sony hdv Z1U or the canon XL2

if anyone has used both or knows which one they like better and why,

i would surley apreciate it...

Depends on what you want. XL2 has 24p the Z1U doesn't, however the Z1U has cineframe 25 which yield rival results. The XL2 has the ability to change lens sizes where as the Sony has a fixed lens, so if you want the ability to change lenses then I'd go with the XL2. How much are you willing to spend? The Z1U I think costs about 4-5K and I think the XL2 is right around there. Again it all depends, do you want 24p or does it matter?

Kev

well i want the best quality picture i can get for my money, i had my mind set on the xl2 because of its interchangable lenses, until i found out they make a M2 35mm DOP adapter for the Z1U, with this adapter i could infact change many differant types of lenses....

i just cant decide....

the xl2 looks prettier...haha... but thats not what its about...

thanks,

adam k.

You're comparing apples to oranges. A few items to be considered have been mentioned, but there are many more! Work flow, for example. That in and of itself has much to be taken into consideration, because there is a difference.

Many people are finding that they can't take the Z1 out of the box and start shooting like they can with so many SD cameras. Whatever "weaknesses" one has in shooting SD or whatever aspects they haven't mastered in SD, they are magnified many times shooting in HD.

"Choose" wisely!"

Another thing to consider is that unless you get an HDV deck, you have to use your Z1U to capture the footage. A friend of mine went out and bought an FX1 (consumer version of Z1U) only to be frustrated when she realized that her existing miniDV deck cannot read HDV.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

I own a Z1-U and one of its weak points due to the high density CCD´s is sensivity. I´ve heard something like 125ASA equivalent (less than a PD 150), so adding any adapter in front of the lens will affect its sensivity more.

Check this out with other user of the camera with 35mm adapters.

I hope I could help

Good luck

Don't buy either of them. They will lose half their value in a year, better off to rent. With the depreciation value of £2.5K you could rent a super-16 camera and shoot something professional instead. That or a top-end HD camera that you can use with serious lenses.